Too good to be true or ???

KyleC

I went out to the range to test a load for my 28 Nosler and got some unexpected results. The accuracy was outstanding and when I ran it over the MagnetoSpeed my jaw about hit the floor. The rifle is an Alamo Precision Altitude with a 26" Proof barrel, 1-8 twist. The load I was shooting was virgin Nosler brass, Federal GM 215 M primer, 84.5 grains of Vihtavuori N570 under a Nosler 160 Accubond seated .010" off the lands. No heavy bolt lift, no extractor swipe and the primer strike is normal. The chrono read 3417, 3423, 3423 for an a 3 shot average of 3421 with an SD of 3.4 and ES of 6. Now I know this is only 3 shots and I will do another 5-10 shot string once I fireform my brass but can this be real?

Attachments

• img054 (2).jpg
    img054 (2).jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 238
Yes, but with brass never fired in your rifle, it will be hard to repeat on second loading, I think. Not sure because my recent experience is with cases that change quite a bit after firing.

My savage with a 24" Proof 1/8 shoots the same bullet at 3350 into .25 all day long with new Nosler and 2k bump. 2" means at least 100fps with that cartridge and powder volume. I backed it off to 3000 and brass is lasting longer with same accuracy. Set same distance off. Don't have my data I know it's 80+ of Retumbo with a CCI 250.
Who needs target bullets for hunting? Lol

Be careful of the vihtavuori. I loaded n560 in my 6:5-284 and got some unbelievable velocities went back a couple weeks later and they dropped considerably. I was told as soon as you open the N500 powders they start to break down.

I'm guessing at that level, your Nosler Brass won't last more than a few firings before primer pockets open up, at least that is what happened with my 28. I was shooting 177g Hammer Hunters up to 3250 fps, but I've backed off to 3150.
That said mine is an all day long less than .5 MOA shooter.

I would be shocked if your load wasn't significantly over pressured. Can't believe a case the size of a 7RM can generate that much velocity in that barrel length without being 75-85K of pressure. More like a 'proof load' !!

I would be shocked if your load wasn't significantly over pressured. Can't believe a case the size of a 7RM can generate that much velocity in that barrel length without being 75-85K of pressure. More like a 'proof load' !!
Please google search 28 nosler case capacity and then 7rem mag and you'll find all that you wrote is 100% wrong!

Last edited:
I went out to the range to test a load for my 28 Nosler and got some unexpected results. The accuracy was outstanding and when I ran it over the MagnetoSpeed my jaw about hit the floor. The rifle is an Alamo Precision Altitude with a 26" Proof barrel, 1-8 twist. The load I was shooting was virgin Nosler brass, Federal GM 215 M primer, 84.5 grains of Vihtavuori N570 under a Nosler 160 Accubond seated .010" off the lands. No heavy bolt lift, no extractor swipe and the primer strike is normal. The chrono read 3417, 3423, 3423 for an a 3 shot average of 3421 with an SD of 3.4 and ES of 6. Now I know this is only 3 shots and I will do another 5-10 shot string once I fireform my brass but can this be real?
back it off a full gr or two on 1x fired brass then work back up and see where it is..

I had the same experience with my full custom 28 nosler. I am shooting the 195 Berger at 3150 fps and after the barrel break in and fire forming brass was able to find a node and easily replicate that accuracy. Mine likes .020 off the lands.

I had the same experience with my full custom 28 nosler. I am shooting the 195 Berger at 3150 fps and after the barrel break in and fire forming brass was able to find a node and easily replicate that accuracy. Mine likes .020 off the lands.
What powder are you using? N570 has been like a unicorn around here. I have a few pounds of Retumbo and 8133 for my 28 though.

I was shooting 177g Hammer Hunters up to 3250 fps, but I've backed off to 3150.
I'm curious what powder you were using too. I know Steve at Hammer recommended I try N570, but again it's nowhere to be seen.

What powder are you using? N570 has been like a unicorn around here. I have a few pounds of Retumbo and 8133 for my 28 though.

I'm curious what powder you were using too. I know Steve at Hammer recommended I try N570, but again it's nowhere to be seen.
I'm using reloader 33. I found a good note at 3000 FPS and another AT 3150 FPS

I'm using reloader 33. I found a good note at 3000 FPS and another AT 3150 FPS
Have you tested it's temp stability? I've also heard that RL33 is filthy, have you noticed that at all? It's not like I've been able to find any RL33 either, just curious.