Too early to do load developement?

GW Hunter

I've got a new C.A. In 280ai. The barrel has 75 rounds through it after the C.A. recommended break in procedure. I've got a couple different powders loaded up for some ladder tests but am starting to wonder if these will be conclusive. Any opinions on if the performance will change once there are 200 rounds down the tube (for example) compared to now?

I've heard it claimed that barrels change in speed over a relatively large shot count, but I've never seen it -while looking.
This perhaps because I don't keep watching velocities while fire-forming new brass for a new barrel.
I suspect that velocities going up over early shot counts are due to brass clearance changing rather than bore changing.

You should not be powder developing until your brass is fully fire-formed and stable to your sizing plan anyway.
Until then, you can do full seating testing, and primer testing.

I've heard it claimed that barrels change in speed over a relatively large shot count, but I've never seen it -while looking.
This perhaps because I don't keep watching velocities while fire-forming new brass for a new barrel.
I suspect that velocities going up over early shot counts are due to brass clearance changing rather than bore changing.

You should not be powder developing until your brass is fully fire-formed and stable to your sizing plan anyway.

I understand that the answer to this question can depends on different factors but generally how do you determine when your brass is ready? Do you go by a specific firing count? Or pay attention to when the brass stops growing? Or other things?

I do my load development with once fired/fireformed brass, meaning I dont buy once fired brass. Either new brass fired on my gun the first time or factory ammo fired on my gun.

I have not noticed changes on loads from once fired to say 4 times fired brass.

Your loads might pick up some speed as you fire more rounds through the barrel.

Hope this helps and stay safe

I do my load development with once fired/fireformed brass, meaning I dont buy once fired brass. Either new brass fired on my gun the first time or factory ammo fired on my gun.

I have not noticed changes on loads from once fired to say 4 times fired brass.

Your loads might pick up some speed as you fire more rounds through the barrel.

Hope this helps and stay safe
Thanks. You too

I think my 6.5-284 has picked up speed after approximately 200 rounds (or I'm just starting to notice). I've picked up approximately 50 FPS on my 51.4 grain charge of H4831sc last I checked. It's at 2975 now. Was around 2930. Anyway, it's also faster cold bore, which I guess is Captain Obvious.

I'm having pretty good results with virgin brass in my 6.5 Lapua. Probably due to the consistency of the brass but I do like to fire form first with everything else before I Ladder or OCD test.

Last edited:
I would say you are in the perfect position to test the results...
Virgin brass and once fired...
Use the same powder load in each...same bullet...same oal..
Check speed and poi with each....
I have just first fired all my new lapua or i would try this myself...
Be interesting.......

In order to know when your brass has become stable and is filling the chamber can only be achieved by careful measuring. I use RCBS Precision Mic for this chore. When the brass is stable, it no longer grows either in shoulder datum to head length or do the necks elongate. Then careful sizing and neck expanding are performed. I now use Forster Comp FL dies with honed necks and polished expanders in conjunction with a mandrel turned to my specs. The FL die hardly changes the neck, it brings it back to bullet diameter and the mandrel gives me the final dimension. I like my chambers to have no more than .004" for neck expansion. I also don't use tight neck chambers anymore either, had bad experience with excessive pressures with a tiny carbon ring and damaged an expensive barrel, it was re-usable after setting back, but it lost a full season with that trimming back...not happy.
I let my rifle barrel tell me what neck tension it likes. I start at .0015" and work up in .0005" increments until I hit .004" max, as I feel this is a lot of neck movement beyond this amount.
Usually, somewhere in that range produces the perfect tension the gun likes.
One barrel I have in 300WM likes .004", all others are .0015"-.0025" where they like to be.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Many barrels continue to change up to about 150 rounds. Its been documented many times with chony data, enough so that I am working out a fix. I have seen some not speed up and I think I may know why, I had some barrels made up a little differently to test the idea and hopefully figure it out. But anyhow, you can learn some things early on like seating depth, primer/powder choice, and neck tension. You can even rough in your powder nodes, I just wouldnt fine tune powder until about 150 rounds. This is a very good time to try powders primers and bullets. Barrels usually still shoot well early on, its just that you have to chase the tune a lot more.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.