To SST or not to SST

Demon061

I've got 165's loaded for my 30-06 for Mule deer this season and they've served me well in the past but for cow elk should I go for the 180 grain SST from my .300WM? As long as I get a reasonably long shot it'll be okay but up close they tend to grenade.

I could also go for the 208 grain A max. Hmmm. Thoughts? Cows tend to run 450+ pounds so it's a lot of animal to get through. Afraid the SST might not be stout enough

I'm on the fence with the SST its to bad hornady suspended the 180 inter bond it would be perfect for your setup.

my experience with 180 SST on Elk at about 300 yds. was a hole you could throw a football thru on the impact side, very poor performance I'd say.

I think it's interesting that you'd consider an Amax (albeit a heavier grain) and not an SST--the SST at least has some mechanical features (cannelure and interlock ring) to hold it together. If you're stuck on using Hornady, get some 180gr Interlock soft points. If you're not stuck on them, look for some Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks, or Nosler Accubonds for more controlled expansion.

Let me guess, Partitions can't kill elk anymore either?:D

They kill them dead.......as soon as they get there! Kidding aside, Partitions are a fantastic killing bullet, they just lack the sex appeal of the new sleek missiles that appeal,to BC junkies like myself. ---------SS

I have a few 180 interbonds left you might want them and underwood ammo might have some as they loaded the ones i have but i pulled them as my new rifle didn't like them as well as other test rounds but the shoot the same as a sst in 180 you pay for shipping i'll give them to ya there is 17 of them and i might have a few more if i dig around

I don't have any personal experience on the 180 SST other than my buddy used them on an elk hunt. We knew where the elk were bedded so I bird dogged for him and he ended up shooting a real nice bull at 13 yards head on. The bull went about 20 yards and piled up. He was shooting a 300 WM and in this case, the bullet worked great.

Randy

Haha I appreciate the offer of interbonds but I need more than 17 for LD. Reason I'm using the .300 is that my 06' is getting pulled apart next month =P Letting my brother's gf use MY gf's .270 for her cow, too.

So SST is a bit weak for elk? I know they're good at range but it might be a closer encounter this year in the aspens.

Sst is basically a ballistic tip with a crimp at closer ranges and hyper velocity you can experience bullet blow up as the the only thing that holds the bullet core to the jacket is the crimp or cantelure but as I said I might be able to hunt up a few more but sst really isn't designed for deep penetration on heavy boned big game at hyper speed this is my opinion from experience but I would use a gxm style bullet or a bonded bullet for best results and deep penetration my self I like ETIPS from nosler but they a pain to find a quick load for that's fast and accurate go with accubonds or 165 GMX br hornady you put the hammer down from 150 or closer with the GMX and hit should bone I promise cow or bull and you will see awesome penetration

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.