To slug or not for Cast bullets

It's not usually the very lip of the casing that'll stick, but just after the taper crimp. You will likely be able to go .002" over, but you might get stuck with a box of unusable bullets (unless you have a lube/sizer or swaging die) too.

Kennibear is correct that some makes of cast bullets are rather hard for their intended purpuse, and being lighter weight pistol bullets they simply don't have enough inertia and bore drag to obturate and will just blow out the barrel without even touching the grooves. The trick is to get close to groove diameter without having crappy feeding. I've never worked with a 40, but there are a few in the family and I've shot thousands of 9's and 44's with cast.

now I have come across some bullets that are moly or poly coated also known as black bullets. looks perfect for my application. cost effective and cleanish

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.