To drill & tap, or not? (1942 Swedish Mauser)

JimmyJack54

I recently acquired a sporterized 1942 Husqvarna M38 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm with a Williams FP peep sight. The gun was custom built at some point, looks to be in quite nice shape, and action has never been drilled and tapped for scope bases in 81 years. All my other rifles carry scopes, however, I'm having mixed emotions about having it drilled and tapped for bases. This could be a fun gun for me and the kids to use at the range and possibly hunting as it is. However if I want to use it for any serious hunting I would want a scope on it. What would you recommend?

(I would have attached pics but I'm in a deer stand w/rifle wearing a scope and it's at home in the safe.)

Unless you have thoughts on returning to its original military configuration I'd do it, sewdish steel is among the very finest and with modern heat are comparable in strength to a good 98\ FN\ interarms MKX and remington 98 mausers, many of these late model 96's have been used in building many a fine sporting rifles for cartridges with a 06 case rim, I know of one individual that had one chambered in 6.5 Remington mag, not sure I would have gone that far, however some early model 96's were assembled during the second world war so some of these did not receive modern heat treating so a little research needs to be done if one wishes to push it to its limits, if you do not reload then that should not be a worry as long as the headspace is correct and the rifle is in clean working order, A good adjustable trigger is recommended and somewhere out there one should be to find a cock on open bolt conversion

I don't believe that Husqvarna M38 were ever military configuration. Military action, yes, but built into the M38 originally by Husky. Your rifle is most likely 100% original.

An expert may correct me, but that's my understanding.

Sorry, I had my model #s confused.

Steve

Last edited:
I was just reading a NRA article on a similar subject. You can add a peep sight in the position of the factory barreled dovetail sight. Or, you could add a red dot low profile sight in the dovetail of the factory rear dovetail.
Of course, adding scope mount tapped holes is possible. You have options.

Drill and tap it... it's not a pristine military example and most likely it would be more expensive to "try" and build it back into its original issue, drill, tap it, and have fun, great rifle, and a great caliber. Good Luck... Cheers.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I do feel like my children and/or I would hunt more with it if it had a scope…I do know the trigger was replaced. I will check on the cock on open bolt conversion.

Unless you have thoughts on returning to its original military configuration I'd do it, sewdish steel is among the very finest and with modern heat are comparable in strength to a good 98\ FN\ interarms MKX and remington 98 mausers, many of these late model 96's have been used in building many a fine sporting rifles for cartridges with a 06 case rim, I know of one individual that had one chambered in 6.5 Remington mag, not sure I would have gone that far, however some early model 96's were assembled during the second world war so some of these did not receive modern heat treating so a little research needs to be done if one wishes to push it to its limits, if you do not reload then that should not be a worry as long as the headspace is correct and the rifle is in clean working order, A good adjustable trigger is recommended and somewhere out there one should be to find a cock on open bolt conversion
Rifle is cock on close ("COC"). What are your thoughts on cock on open ("COO") vs cock on close?

Based off what I've been able to read it seems to come down to personal preference. COO proponents tout ease of cycling bolt on the shoulder for a faster follow up shot and most modern rifles are COO therefore greater ease of use and same muscle memory. COC proponents tout "don't fix if it ain't broke" mentality, conversions could be messy and are an extra expense, and COC doesn't take that much to get used to. What has been your experience? Thanks

I am a COC fan. I have not converted any because they are easier to open than conversions, and you have momentum when closing. Faster and smoother to me.

Granted, I am obviously not converting to COC either...

I am a COC fan. I have not converted any because they are easier to open than conversions, and you have momentum when closing. Faster and smoother to me.

Granted, I am obviously not converting to COC either...
I'm leaning towards leaving it alone as COC. The advantages seem negligible for my purposes. I don't intend for this to ever be my primary hunting rifle. If that changes I may reevaluate but at this point I don't foresee the outcome changing. Thanks for your feedback.

Recent Posts