6.5x55 Swedish max pressure

7mmSendaro

I have a 6.5x55 swedish mauser that was rebarreled by Kimber of America. I picked the gun up pretty cheap and am just experimenting with it. What is a safe maximum pressure to load in an original Mauser 96 action?

7; you probably won't get many takers on this one, but P.O. Ackley mentions 43,000 psi for the Swede, but wasn't sure where it came from. I wouldn't chamber one for a .308 Win or it's derivatives that go up to 55,000, but there are some golden oldies for .473-.479 bolt faces including the original 6.5 x 55 that are great cartridges and perform well at around 45,000. I don't think I would push one to 50,000. I've seen the small ring Spanish Mausers chambered for .308 Win, but I wouldn't shoot one or recommend one.

Just my opinion, Tom

On edit: watch out for the loading manual loads for the 6.5 x 55. The Nosler book for one says that the listed loads are for modern guns and to "have a military rifle checked by a competent gunsmith" ? What's a 'smith going to do to determine max safe pressure? Try to blow it up? A couple of loading books list psi or cup. I'd hang up at around 45,000. The Swedes are fine actions, and you can check regularly for bolt setback if you think you're pushing it.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I appreciate the information. I plan to leave it in 6.5x55 and see how it shoots. I have inlet it into a new walnut stock and am bedding it now. The pillars are done and I hope to bed the top end tonight. No illusions that this barrel from Kimber will shoot one hole but hopefully it'll shoot around MOA. If not, I may look at re-barreling into something else.

Thanks again, that's what I was looking for.

Brian

Brian, you never can tell, I had an E.R. Shaw barrel in .270 Win on a military Mauser that was a tack driver. JE Custom got it from me, (I can't stand prosperity), and immediately won a 600 yd Any-Any match with it.

I'll bet that on average, the Kimber barrel is better than the Shaw and with the bedding and pillars, you've got a shot. The 6.5 x 55 has a reputation for being a naturally accurate cartridge. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck, Tom

Thanks again. I got the top end bedded, scope mounted, and started finishing the stock tonight. Tomorrow I'll put a coat of finish on before heading into the lion's den (Chicago) tomorrow for a week of meetings:eek:.

It'll drive me crazy knowing the rifle is patiently waiting for me to finish it while I'm stuck in a hotel room! It'll be a couple weeks now before I get it out. I'll keep you posted...........

I believe the BRASS is supposed to be spec'd at 55000 psi max but your rifle supposedly is good for 45000psi.

Just saw you said 96, I was thinking 94. The 94 was 45000psi , there are lots of 96's out there that regularly shot long range competition in 308 running continously well over 55000 psi. I have one that shot a whack of those loads but certainly not by me. I don't plan to ever shoot it after looking at the gas system.

Cheers

For the 96 action some books say 45,000 PSI and some say 46,000 CUP is Max pressure a load should be. All I know from shooting the 4 Model 96 Swedes I have is what works for me. One of the four rifle has been sporterized but still retains the 29 inch barrel. All are very very very accurate rifles. Here are some loads that work for me. I use Remington and Lapua 6.5X55 cases, do not try to make cases from 06 web size cases they are too small.
For target work: 140 gr Sierra Match King, 37.8 grs IMR 4895, CCI BR2 Primer, OAL 3.050 . This is a mild load that clocks right at 2600 fps from my 29 inch barrels.

Deer size game load: 140 Sierra Game King or Hornady Spire Pt., 45 grs. Accurate Arms 4350, Federal 210M Primer, OAL 3.050. This is a max load according to Accurate Arms and it clocks on average 2825 fps from my 29 inch barrel.

Deer size game load #2: 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunter, 46 grs H-4350, Federal 210M primer, OAL 3.050

Varmint load: 100 gr Sierra HP VM, 42 grs. Varget, Remington 9 1/2 primer, OAL 2.850 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp this bullet in the case. 3000 fps from my 29 inch barrel. This really blows up groundhogs.

All the Kimber rifles on the 96 action in 6.5X55 I have ever seen have original Swede military barrels that have been cut down in length. They are very good barrels though. That rifle will make you a very good deer hunting rifle. It will do about anything a 260 Remington will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.