titanium

I think that a "sinker" EDM would be a good choice for cutting the cam surface on lug abutments. The problem now becomes machining the electrode but that would be simple on a 4th axis VMC. A friend has a VMC with 4th axis and is hinting that I need to buy an older ram (sinker) EDM.
I think the process that makes pistol barrels is called "ECM" for some form of electro-chemical machining. A company that does this was setup at the SHOT Show in '98.

Daveosok

I'm not sure if the EDM can cut the abutments as Brent wants, they have to twist as the relief goes into the action (like. I sent him a email about the process that Jay McMumm used to cut his. If he needs some pics I think Jay will oblige.

Sinker/Ram style EDMing will work. However this type of machining leaves a rather large haz area as it runs hotter than wire edming. If you do machine it the haz area will need to be chemically removed as it will be a high stress area.
I'm woring on getting a sinker style edm but it wont be any time soon so all of you who are hopping stick with me maybe one day I'll have it lol
smile.gif
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.