Timney OK?

bkondeff

Due to a Mt Goat tag and the extreme angles necessary to climb up to them here in Idaho, I impulsively bought a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle(new SS) in .280 from a guy on here. What I had not done is research it enough to be aware of the recall on the X Trigger.

I don't have time, nor do I really desire, to send it into Remington for repair, just to get back a heavy trigger.

Research this AM leads me to a Timney 512(510 Nickel Plated). Any good reason not to get this.

I did, for a short time, own a 7STW with a Timney on it and liked it very much. I have a Browning A-Bolt with an aftermarket spring set, which I like very much. Other than that I have used mostly Sako and Tikka triggers.

I have 1 Timney that is very good, however I have had several that were not good at all. I probably wont buy another Timney. I would go jewel or shilen if it were me. Jewel being the first choice.

Thanks Mike.

I was doing quick research on my phone, but the Shilen's I saw didn't have a Safety, do some come with and I just need to research more? Jewell would be nice, but I just bought 3 guns and a bunch of other gear for a goat hunt(boots, etc.) and I'm trying to keep cost down some.

I've replace several of my triggers with Timneys and have had extremely good luck with them. Very crisp and they all break like glass. Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:

I purchased a Timney for one rifle and was not impressed. My gunsmith couldn't get the bugs worked out either. He usually had good experiences with Timney, but not with my Timney. I gave up on that rifle.

And I know of another gunsmith that stopped using Timney's on any of his custom rifle builds.

But I've read lot of posts from members that like their Timney trigger. I just had a different experience with the only one I ever purchased.

you can buy a kit for 15 bucks or so if I remember correctly to add the safety
That kit, made and marketed by Rife Basix, and costs $35- $40 bucks. You'll need a bolt release from Brownells, too. Just guessing another $7.50 + shipping. Get both the safety kit and bolt release from Brownells to save some shipping $$. You can get the Shilen trigger there, too. The only Timney I'd use on a 700 would be the new Calvin Elite, just to try one.

Due to a Mt Goat tag and the extreme angles necessary to climb up to them here in Idaho, I impulsively bought a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle(new SS) in .280 from a guy on here. What I had not done is research it enough to be aware of the recall on the X Trigger.

I don't have time, nor do I really desire, to send it into Remington for repair, just to get back a heavy trigger.

Research this AM leads me to a Timney 512(510 Nickel Plated). Any good reason not to get this.

I did, for a short time, own a 7STW with a Timney on it and liked it very much. I have a Browning A-Bolt with an aftermarket spring set, which I like very much. Other than that I have used mostly Sako and Tikka triggers.
This so called problem with x trigger is so far from reallity that you need not to worry yourself over it.
Adjust your trigger and place some nail polish, loctite (blue) or other locking compound and be done with it. I have a VSSFII with an x trigger, did as above and it is fine.
If I was going to replace it, I wouldn't think twice and buy a Jewel, the best Rem trigger on the market, I have 2 of them in my long range rifles.

Cheers.
gun)

I have recently installed a 510 and 512. Both dropped in perfect, both break at 2.5 lbs. No issues with either. For the price, they are a nice trigger.

I just ordered a Timney for my M70. I'll be putting it in this weekend. I have one on a Ruger and it is awesome. Both are factory set at 1.5

I have a Timney in my model 70 push feed. It works pretty good but they recommend to NOT adjust them below 2 lbs.. I have mine set at 2 lbs or slightly less and I can notice it likes to get a little notchy after a few rounds. It is a competition gun and by a few rounds means about 50 or more. For a hunting rifle there is nothing wrong with a Timney. Definitely an improvement over stock components.

I have used Timney triggers on several rifles over the years. They have all worked pretty good for me except one. I had one on a Win Model 70 that ended up being a mess. I have used most of the rest on Rem 700's. The only problems that I have seen with them came when I tried to adjust the weight below 2#. If I kept it above that there was no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts