Time to rebarrel & rechamber

moosehunter

I posted on this some time ago but didnt get to much input so I'll try again. The barrel on my win mod 70, 300 wm is toast so Im looking at going with a Kreiger ss and chambering in 300wsm. Now Ive read that this caliber doesnt do well with the heavier bullets. I prefer the 200gr.spbt and want to try Berger 210's. Is the reason this cal. doesnt like the heavier bullets because of the short action so reduced powder capacity with longer bullets? If so a med. action shouldnt be a concern with this I would think. Should a person go with the 1-11 twist that Berger suggests and hope it does well with the Sierra's or go with standard 1-10 and hope it does well with the Berger's?

The trouble that people typically run into with the longer/heavier bullets loaded in the 300WSM is magazine length. This depends on each rifle manufacturers specs. I would say to give it a try. Typically, factory .308 calibers are made with a 1-10" twist. The heavier/longer the bullet the faster the twist rate needs to be. You will notice this trend in reloading manuals as heavier/longer bullets are used faster twits are recommended. I would feel comfortable with trying a 208 grain A-max or like bullets in a 1-10" twist rifle. I would recommend that you call the maker of your barrel and ask what they would suggest and be as specific or detailed in your questions as possible. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.