Time to rebarrel...Need opinions

Nate717

Hey guys, It is time for me to re-barrel a remington700 in 300WM. Not sure what I want to go with but I do know I do not want to go any smaller than 300WM. I have been leaning towards one of the 7 or 300 Ultra Mags or a 338 EDGE. Just looking for some of your opinions. I have always been a fan of 30calibers but have been hearing alot of good things about the .338 bullets. Im not too worried about weight or barrel length as it will be mostly shot off a bench for whitetails and black bears here in PA at ranges anywhere from 500 out to who knows. What are some of your opinions?

If you have shot out the barrel on a 300 win that means you are over 2000 rounds and then some. It sounds like you shoot a lot. That said I would look at either the 300 win again and stay away from RUMs except 338. and maybe increase the length and look hard at the 230 Bergers for a 300 win. I feel this would be a long range hammer on Black Bears and Deer to well past 1000. If distances of 1300 to a mile are on the menu, go .338, either the RUM or Edge in the 700 action.

Jeff

i have not heard much about it lately but shawn has a 338 + P out and from what i read a few months ago. it was quit impressive just a thought. but if you just wanted to re-barrel you might have a mag box problem so then you might look at the 338 sin or the 338 norma. personally i would want to be shot with any of them even at a mile :D

Forgot to mention that this will be a solid bottom single shot so seating depth is not a problem. I wouldn't say i shoot a TON but i shoot a bit. The barrel was just a factory remington that I picked up last year for the action originally but after talking to my gunsmith I Ended up going a different way with the rig I had built last year. With that gun shooting good, its time to put this action to work!!

Forgot to mention that this will be a solid bottom single shot so seating depth is not a problem. I wouldn't say i shoot a TON but i shoot a bit. The barrel was just a factory remington that I picked up last year for the action originally but after talking to my gunsmith I Ended up going a different way with the rig I had built last year. With that gun shooting good, its time to put this action to work!!

What cal is your other custon barreled rifle?

Jeff

Its a 300wsm with tight neck and throated for the long bullets! Smithed by Mark King.

Its a 300wsm with tight neck and throated for the long bullets! Smithed by Mark King.

Well, that makes me feel you should go with a .338 to round out your line up. With the 700 action, .338 RUM or .338 EDGE, you pick. But I would probably lean to the EDGE. May as well get all you can.

Jeff

Thats what I was thinking but thought I would see what some of the seasoned long rangers thought as well. The only concern I had with the edge was the velocities with the 300gr bullets hence the reason I was looking at the RUMS but seems like the combo of the long barrels of 30"+ can get some pretty good speeds.

Thats what I was thinking but thought I would see what some of the seasoned long rangers thought as well. The only concern I had with the edge was the velocities with the 300gr bullets hence the reason I was looking at the RUMS but seems like the combo of the long barrels of 30"+ can get some pretty good speeds.

My 338 LM sends the 300's 2800 ish with a 27 1/2" tube. This gets me to 1900 where I live before they go subsonic. And 1275 lbs of energy at 1500. I do understand the merrits of higher velocity, but also feel a lot can be done with a 300 gr bullet at 2800 or 2850.

Jeff

Yup the more i read about the EDGE i like it in a midweight rig.. The 300gr bullet and a well placed shot will take down almost anything I hunt at 90% of ranges I hunt. I was planning on running a 30inch tube if not a tad bit longer.

I'm still trying to decide b/w 338 Edge and 338 Lapua Magnum. If I go LM, then I have to buy a new bolt, but I get the good brass.

If I go Edge, I get Remmington brass, eewww, but save 240+ bucks by keeping the current bolt. I guess what I really need to remember is that Shawn and others must be using their fare share of Remington brass and they are all killing stuff. I just hate the brass prep.

Either way, the bbl will be 28" at the longest. I'm not going 30".

300 ultra and run some berger 230's or 338 ultra and run some 300 smk OR Bergers. Both are wicked... The 338 edge is hardly any gain.

Cant argue with 2300 plus rounds on a 28" AMU/MTU Rock Creek barrel. it is 300 win, trued rem 700 action. 15 reloads on win brass and I had my first brass failure. If and when this barrel finally poops the bed it will be chambered in a 300 win again. I never run my barrel anything past warm to the touch, every time I clean the barrel, average 400 rounds it gets a very healthy dose of Gun Juice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.