time for a new scope

rebelfootball73

I took out my Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 win mag out for a hunt yesterday and had a great hunt! I ended up harvesting a 220 pound 8 point which is my biggest deer to date. With all that said I was very disappointed with my scope. I had an even larger 8 point show up at about 300 yards and was not able to take a shot due to how cloudy the scope was. The scope in question is a Leupy VariX-III 4.5-14x50 Illum reticle with parallax adjustment. I know the first question is was the parallax adjusted properly.....yes it was I even tried to adjust it thinking that was the problem. But nothing helped. I was just lucky that this deer decided to commit suicide and walked out at 17 yards. Now comes the 1000 dollar question in 2 parts.

1) Can I send my scope to Leopold and have them check it out and what is the cost because I am not the original owner.
2) what is a good replacement scope for under $1000

Hunting in Louisiana most of my shots are from 5 yard out to 200 but I have a few places where I can stretch out to about 600 yards.

Leupold Golden Ring® Full Lifetime Guarantee

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, Leupold & Stevens, Inc. will repair, or if repair is not possible, either replace the product or refund the purchase price, whichever you prefer. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies. This warranty excludes electronic components, which are subject to the limited two-year warranty below.

Rev, send it back, it will probably be better than ever. If not, sell it in perfect condition and get something else.

I had the exact same scope, with the exact same issue (only difference was I was the original owner). I sent the scope back to Leupold, and got the scope back with a letter that said "nothing done, product meets out standards"

This was a few years ago, so things might have changed, I have not looked at a Leupold product since.

I shot a deer with a muzzleloader wearing a Simmons. I was standing next to my father who's muzzleloader wore the Leupold. Instid of reload I grabbed my father's gun. I could not see enough to finish what the Simmons started, and had to reload my gun to finish the deer. To me Leupold's standards should be higher than Simmons. Yes Im sure this story upset's the diehard gold ring shooters out there, but its just the facts.

The All New - Rudolph Varmint Hunter 4-16x50mm

........the Ultimate Hunting Scope

Selling for $945, delivered to your address of choice......"best value for money"

Features:
* Fully Multi-Coated Lenses
* 30 mm Tube Diameter
* Capped Pop-Up Turrets
* T3 Reticle
* Made in Japan

039a57c78fe48bdbf401484a1a00c34c_zps52c0e823.jpg

Todd Neice
Cell: 330 705 7458
E-mail: [email protected]

you can listen to the guys that want to bash your leupold but in fact its a fine scope. It may not be up to the newest vx3 but its far from a poor scope. 10 years ago it was the scope that scopes under a grand were measured by. If it wont focus at long range theres something wrong with it and they will fix it. If you really think its junk let me be the first to offer you 200 bucks for it!!!!

Here's a scope that would satisfy your needs:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

They have a demo unit listed for $629.99. If you mention "Moving Sale" they take an additional 10% off....that brings it down to $566.99. I just got the same scope in FFP...also a Demo....for $720. These are extremely nice scopes....and for $566....a huge bargain. You'll have illuminated reticle but also pick up some magnification for longer shots and also a zero stop.

Just a thought...Not trying to bash Leupy.....but there are alternatives out there...that are a more economical and yet at least on a level playing field.

Wayne

i've experienced the full range of Leupold service. They've replaced items I told them I broke, at no charge. I've had them fixed with no issues. We have had to send a couple of things in multiple times, to actually fix or admit a problem.

Mostly they are pretty true to their word. You've got nothing to lose at this point send it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.