Time for a new barrel / Howa 1500 .243 AI

PowellSixO

I know I'm getting close the the end of my barrel life on my Howa 1500 .243 Win. I'm wanting to put a new barrel on it soon, and was thinking of stepping up to an AI .243. What do I need to do to make this happen? Can I buy a barrel that's already machined for the .243 AI? Or do I need to buy a Howa .243 barrel and have it machined? What's my best option here? Thanks guys.

You can buy a short chambered barrel but someone is still going to need to install it for you, not sure how much you really save. In reality find a good smith you want to use, order (or have them order) a barrel blank of your choice and let them get it setup.

There might be someone making a barrel nut system for Howas not too and you could buy a prechambered barrel but you'll still need the tools to take the barrel off and also headspace gauge to install the barrel (bought or rent). Saves a few bucks.

In general though a barrel blank will likely run $250-400 range. Lots of the quality well known brands in stainless are $300-350 range. Smiths usually charge $200-300 to install/chamber. Sometimes its extra if you want the receiver trued up (pricing varies depending on what you want them to do).

Long story short a rebarrel will cost as much as a new rifle BUT you now have a premium barrel vs a factory one.

You can buy a short chambered barrel but someone is still going to need to install it for you, not sure how much you really save. In reality find a good smith you want to use, order (or have them order) a barrel blank of your choice and let them get it setup.

There might be someone making a barrel nut system for Howas not too and you could buy a prechambered barrel but you'll still need the tools to take the barrel off and also headspace gauge to install the barrel (bought or rent). Saves a few bucks.

In general though a barrel blank will likely run $250-400 range. Lots of the quality well known brands in stainless are $300-350 range. Smiths usually charge $200-300 to install/chamber. Sometimes its extra if you want the receiver trued up (pricing varies depending on what you want them to do).

Long story short a rebarrel will cost as much as a new rifle BUT you now have a premium barrel vs a factory one.

Thank you for the response. That's what I needed to know. I never planned on doing the work myself. I don't have the tools or the know how. I just didn't know if I could buy a barrel that was already machined for the AI case, and for my Howa action, and have a gunsmith install it for me. I guess I need to find someone that has the equipment and know how to do this. Anyone know of any good gunsmiths in Flagstaff, Az or St. George, Ut? Or am I better off mailing the whole gun off to a reputable shop? Thanks again.

My personal preference is if you find a good local shop utilize them so you have a relationship with a local smith going forward if you ever have a need for something again.

Otherwise there are some smiths that have an online presence that do a lot of rebarrel work. Also many of the barrel manufacturers have their own gun smith shops (they may/may not what to work on a Howa though) as well.

Check around with the local shooters for any good smith recommendations. Never hurts to have that relationship and also the ability to go to the shop if the need arises.

I would love to be able to take it to a local gunsmith, however I live in bfe. The closest two towns that might possibly have a gunsmith with the ability to do this is 120 miles northwest or 120 miles south. :)

Well then maybe mailing out may be the way to go. Think about what barrel maker you may want to use and check in with their smith as a starting point. Lots of others out there too. I started taking note of some for my project but don't have any personal experience so I figure I'll let others chime in there ideally.

I found a local smith with a good reputation that I'll be using, sent off a check for a barrel deposit last week. :) I'll be redoing a Tikka M695 in 280AI.

douglas barrel also. er shaw takes about 6 months. douglas did my howa in 3 weeks. I turned a 257 wby into a 7 mm wby. shoots great.

Curious, how many rounds through your 243? What symptoms have you thinking it is worn out?

Where in Az that is 120 miles from anywhere?

Curious, how many rounds through your 243? What symptoms have you thinking it is worn out?

Where in Az that is 120 miles from anywhere?

The rifle shoots great still. Sub .7 moa all day every day. I've owned the rifle for 18 years, and I'm guessing I have close to 1000 bullets through the rifle so far. It may have many more left in it still. The improved performace of the AI .243, and having roughly 1000 rounds through the rifle has me doing some research. It's not set in stone, and probably won't happen in the next month kinda thing. But I do want to research this, and be ready to do this sometime soon. I'm more into shooting now than ever, since I've started reloading, and the number of rounds through my .243 and 7mm have gone up greatly. Oh and I live in Page. It's 120 miles roughly to Flag for me (Only little Rez towns/communities between Page and Flag). And I'm just over 120 miles to St. George, Ut. There is Kanab and Colorado City between Page and St. George, but Kanab is very small, and Colorado City is equally as small and run by the polygamists (I think the only two stores there is a gas station and a farmers market kinda thing).

Thanks for those answers. Have been in Page to fish Lake Powell since the early 80s. Understand how you can be 120 miles from no where.

You can certainly ship the rifle into middle Az. I know of a good gunsmith in Prescott, Dan Pederson. I shipped a barrel and action for him to do some work on and was pleased with the results. Welcome to Classic Barrel & Gunworks If nothing else give him a call and ask him some questions. He has a 243 AI reamer.

I think you can keep going with your current barrel. It will require more cleanup as time goes on and could serve you for another year or two depending.

You might also consider a 6.5x55 Ackley. Even better bullet choices than the 243 and better barrel life too. You would need new brass and dies though..

Thanks for those answers. Have been in Page to fish Lake Powell since the early 80s. Understand how you can be 120 miles from no where.

You can certainly ship the rifle into middle Az. I know of a good gunsmith in Prescott, Dan Pederson. I shipped a barrel and action for him to do some work on and was pleased with the results. Welcome to Classic Barrel & Gunworks If nothing else give him a call and ask him some questions. He has a 243 AI reamer.

I think you can keep going with your current barrel. It will require more cleanup as time goes on and could serve you for another year or two depending.

Nice. Yeah, lake powell is an awesome place to fish or just visit. I fish just about every single weekend. We've actually been killing them lately too. My buddy and I fish the tournaments on Powell that the ultimate bass teams tournaments puts on. We've won the angler of the year award the last 2 years in a row. It's another hobby my wife wishes I didn't have. Lol. Thanks for the information. I'll have to give him a call. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.