Tikka Hunter Stainless Steel

The "Leade" Angle is too ABRUPT for Secant Ogive, ( VLD Type ) bullets, a Problem on,.. ONLY,.. the 7mm-08, Tikka's !
He had descent Groups with, SOME of, the 140- 150 grain Tangent Ogive, style of, Bullets.
A couple of, others on, AccurateShooter. com,.. HAD this, "issue" , too !
PS; Make sure you HAVE,.. the Steel Recoil Lug, properly Free Floated bbl channel and Torqued to spec.

Guess I have to call Beretta for their MOA warranty.
DON'T waste, your Time, as IT will probably, shoot "well" with,.. THEIR, Ammo !
My son, "looked up" Tikka's, Factory Reamer Dimensions and compared them to CURRENT, US Reamer,.. Spec's !

Last edited:
The "Leade" Angle is too ABRUPT for Secant Ogive, ( VLD Type ) bullets, a Problem on,.. ONLY,.. the 7mm-08, Tikka's !
He had descent Groups with, SOME of, the 140- 150 grain Tangent Ogive, style of, Bullets.
A couple of, others on, AccurateShooter. com,.. HAD this, "issue" , too !
PS; Make sure you HAVE,.. the Steel Recoil Lug, properly Free Floated bbl channel and Torqued to spec.

Can you please site your references. I need to research this, as I just brought this rifle on gunbroker.

Please explain that in detail. The action was very stiff chambering & unchambering rounds, but very smooth with no rounds in the magazine.
Easiest thing I've found is pull the action and barrel out of the stock get your wife's or girl friends hair dryer heat the stock and recoil lug up some they can be a bugger to get out seat the lug partially back in the stock then set the action slot on to the lug and press together at same time if yours was off you can probably tell because it will be scratched up on top of the lug mine was bad enough I turned the lug over in the stock. David

Problem was found / noticed, at least, 3 years ago. My son and I I don't have,..the "References" used, anymore ( Sorry )
Google the Tikka Reamer Spec's and look at, the JGS Reamer, Pages for this, Cartridge to,.. COMPARE Leade Angles.
Not sure, but think, that, he rented a Manson Reamer from, Manson in, Montana ?

A few others complained about, this "Problem" on Acc Shooter but under WHAT Post "name",.. I can't remember. ( again Sorry ). Ask, a REPUTABLE Gun Smith that,.. "Chambers" Rifles and KNOWS, Reamers !
Think about it,.. A pointy, VLD Bullet, in a case with, NOT Perfect, concentricity, then Bullet, hitting an Abrupt leade, CAN'T shoot very "well" ! This made SENSE to us and after, Reaming / Polishing as stated above, the Rifle shoots, GREAT !
I'll ask my son to see IF, he can, remember,.. Any of, the "Detail's"

Last edited:
Son rented Reamer from, 4 D rentals, in Montana.
Tikka Factory Leade angle was,.. 3* !
New Reamer, Leade angle IS,.. 1.5* or, 1.30* ,. 4 D rentals will know,.. BEST Reamer !
Used, a Manson reamer, IIRC.

IF, it were me,.. I'd go thru the Rifle, looking for OTHER "Issues" First and try some Federal 140 or 150 Grain ammo W/ Sierra Bullets or, load / buy some, 140 -150 Noslers as these Bullets are, Tangent Ogive Bullets and SHOULD shoot, "decently", in your rifle.
Look at, everything noted, in the earlier Posts, FIRST ! Something "may" have been, overlooked !
Then, Test fire, the Rifle, again !
My son's problems, were because, he wanted to shoot, Secant Ogive,.. high BC,.. VLDS !
You don't "need" to do the Reamer thing, unless wanting, to shoot, HIGH BC Bullets.
Something ELSE is,. wrong ! Look closely at, the Recoil Lug's position as mentioned ( Steel, I hope ). And Torque spec's, Free floated forend, CLEARENCE, Rings / Mounts, etc.

Last edited:
Corelok's shot just, OK, in my .270 WSM ( around, 1.25" dia groups at 100 ) I'd try, Sierra's or, Noslers IF, possible.
The Partitions and ELD's should shoot, reasonably well. Try 3 -4 shot groups LET COOL, then,.. another ammo.
The Tikka 7mm -08, has a thinish Barrel and they tend to "Walk" the Bullets when, Hot !
My .270 WSM T-3 Tikka, shoots the 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunters into about, 3/8 " to 5/8th's inch dia, groups.
Did you check, "assembly", Lug, Torque and free float ? Check for, Carbon build up and excess, Copper ?
*** ALL, the other Calibers have, a more "sloping", Leade Angle from, the Factory !
I shoot, High BC, VLD'S from my .243 Win and .270 WSM, Tikka's with, NO "problem".

Last edited:
Does Kimber have this problem, or just Tikka ?
Probably NOT,.. WE found the "Issue" when my son started shooting, 162 Grain, ELD-X's and 168 grain Berger HVLDS.
Nobody with, other Caliber, Tikka's have complained about, VLD's in their Guns,.. just a few 7mm-08 guys on Accurate Shooter mentioned SAME problem, that my son was having, a couple of years ago. Try to find a Box of Federal loaded with,. 140- 150 grain Sierra's ! AVOID, the 162 ELD-X's Buy, the 140-150's ! Tikka's, are awesome Rifles with,.. the RIGHT Load !

Last edited:
If you dont start doing a process of elimination your just gonna chase your tail in a circle, start with the gun itself like was stated above with recoil lug then go to mounts and then scope. Ive seen bad NF scopes so anything can happen.
I've seen high pressure factory loads so if your getting stiff bolt try the coreloks

I just went to the store and brought a Kimber :) I'll move the scope over next weekend.. and try the Kimber. If Beretta honors their warranty fine, if not, .. it goes on GB. I hate dealing with this stuff. I brought the Tikka MOA warranty for a reason. Mount a scope & Boxed ammo, and range time. Not dealing with junk out of a box.
$28 range pass, $50 box of ammo. 1 hr drive each direction to the range. I can't be doing that every adjustment to the Tikka.