Tikka .308 or Tikka 300wsm?

idahohunter4

I want to get into LR shooting. I own both rifles (the .308 and 300wsm). I was wondering which one would be best for shooting long distances?

Thanks!

If yo look at the ballistics of the two calibers the 300 WSM is the 308's big brother on steriods. It will out preform the 308 in every way.

I own the 300 wsm in a tikka t3 and shoot the 200 gr accubonds out if it at 3000 FPS with reloader 17. (They are HOT loads with slight craters in the primers.) It shoots well under MOA. I have taken elk at 814 yds.

So my two cents, go with the 300

But if I could do it again I would buy the 300 win. Brass is cheeper and more readily available.

If yo look at the ballistics of the two calibers the 300 WSM is the 308's big brother on steriods. It will out preform the 308 in every way.

I own the 300 wsm in a tikka t3 and shoot the 200 gr accubonds out if it at 3000 FPS with reloader 17. (They are HOT loads with slight craters in the primers.) It shoots well under MOA. I have taken elk at 814 yds.

So my two cents, go with the 300

But if I could do it again I would buy the 300 win. Brass is cheeper and more readily available.
Ditto. The .308win is great to 600yds, and certainly cheaper to shoot in volume but the .300wsm eats it alive especially at long range.

I'd go with the .300wsm
That being said, I got a 300wsm t3 & just bought a .308 t3 for short range hunting

Another vote for the 300WSM. Myself, I own a T3 SS HB in 300WSM... LOVE it! My only complaint would be the mag length. It's a restricting factor when loading Berger 185's to the lands. Otherwise, an awesome rifle. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.