Tikka .308 Factory Elk ammo needed

With a 308, I would use the 130/150 vs the 168, speed is your friend with copper, can't push them too fast. Ive only ever seen a barnes lose petals once and that was close shot on a big bear hitting heavy bone.

My Elk wasn't impressed with 168gr TTSX, and I'm not impressed either. My Tikka however loves the TTSX, that's why I used them, but I won't use them again.
200-400 yards max, I need a bullet that works. I've seen too many complaints about Barnes TTSX not preforming, and now I am on the list.

Does anyone have a Tikka .308, and knows what factory ammo the gun likes ?
Yes, Try using Nosler Partitions. Either the 165 or 180 grain, with me preferring the 165's. I use IMR4350 and my loads are not quite to the max for best accuracy. Do some fine tuning and sub MOA are easily possible.

I shot my first bull with a 7mmRM and a 140 gr. Barnes (old style). It worked, but didn't exit. I moved up to a 160 gr. Barnes bullet with a sectional density of .283. Fast kills, DRT. For a .308, you get close to that SD with 180 gr. bullet. At those lower velocities, I like Berger VLD hunting bullets. They are super accurate, and I've used them on everything from javelina to elk. Never had one run.

I've killed 4 aoudad (supposedly tough to kill) with a 7-30 waters at 2400 fps using 120 gr. TTSX. All worked well with shoulder shots (necessary with oryx and aoudad). Of course hitting bone enhances expansion.

I've shot elk in the heart with a 400 gr. lead bullet and watched them run 75 yards.

My theory is that a high SD with a cup and core bullet work well if you're not shooting a magnum. Bonded and copper bullets work great with magnums because they don't usually come apart.

Please do tell us more about where you hit the elk, how it reacted.

Mine likes everything I've tried. Mainly sticking with Hornady Superformance with the 165 sst for deer. Probably would use the 165gr federal fusion on elk. Federal load with berger hybrids and Hornady precision hunter with the eldx shoot great as well.

Mine likes everything I've tried. Mainly sticking with Hornady Superformance with the 165 sst for deer. Probably would use the 165gr federal fusion on elk. Federal load with berger hybrids and Hornady precision hunter with the eldx shoot great as well.

Just helped a buddy pack out a bull he shot with a 308win 165sst. Bull died quickly.

So much for TTSX at 185 yards. It's a shame because my Tikka loves them. Didn't even have to work-up a load.
I'm not a fan of 100% weight retention.

Attachments

• TTSX No expansion.jpg
    TTSX No expansion.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 74
My Elk wasn't impressed with 168gr TTSX, and I'm not impressed either. My Tikka however loves the TTSX, that's why I used them, but I won't use them again.
200-400 yards max, I need a bullet that works. I've seen too many complaints about Barnes TTSX not preforming, and now I am on the list.

Does anyone have a Tikka .308, and knows what factory ammo the gun likes ?
I have been shooting .308's for many years, several different rifles. If you have a 1/10 twist barrel, which I think your Tikka does try Federal Premium 150 gr .308 ammo with Nosler Partitions. Federal #P308S. The 165 Nosler Accubond is also a good shooter, has a better ballistic coefficient than the Partition Right now both are showing available on the website for both of them. That however seems to change on a day to day basis. You can order direct from Federal direct or from Midway and Brownells.

So much for TTSX at 185 yards. It's a shame because my Tikka loves them. Didn't even have to work-up a load.
That expansion is uninspiring. Hate to see what it would look like at 300+ yards. Maybe give the federal terminal ascent a try? Should give you around 1500 lbs of energy and enough expansion velocity at 400 yards while still being tough enough to hold together at close distances.

I would not recommend the ELD-X if close shots on elk are a possibility.

The 308 ideal cup and core bullet is 150 grains. With monos, speed is your friend. I shoot barnes 130 at 3150 fos. Perfect expansion out to 600 yards. The LRX is a better choice for shooting over 300 yards, especially in 308 or 06. I also hunt a lot with the 150 Hornady cup and core in the same rifle and get results that are great too good. At 3050, same poi to 500 yards.

The issue isn't the bullet, it is how you are using it. A 180 Barnes mono works great in a 300 Win or Rum mag, not so good in 308 or 30 06. Guys need to pay attention to the performance parameters and pick the right bullet whether mono or cup and core.

Last edited:
Any reason why?
Personal experience. Recovered this from a bull elk I shot. Also lost a black bear after I made what seemed like a very good shot, but who knows on that one.

Attachments

• F44B117C-C4BB-4270-B2A7-5233A5715BC5.jpeg
    F44B117C-C4BB-4270-B2A7-5233A5715BC5.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 59
Well Barnes are designed to have near 100% weight retention of the few I have recovered most of themwere about 99%. Where was the shot placement and what was the internal damage to the elk?

the blur.....

What were your expectations on how you wanted that bullet to perform at that distance, velocity, and on Elk?

Which way was the Elk facing? Where exactly on the Elk did it impact?