Tikka 22/250 8 twist

I have personally killed at least a dozen deer and probably more antelope than that with a 22-250 using 55 grain bullets. Now, none of them were shot at any long distances 200-300 yards but none of them got away either. It would not be my first choice for a light weight deer rifle but if you keep the range you are hunting at and the velocity and ft lbs of energy in mind, it should work just fine. The 22-250 is a bad *** round.

I have one, had it rechambered into 22cm mostly because of brass availability. I'm shootings the 88eld and it had been stable at near sea level. Awesome shooting barrel tikka barrels are no slouch

12EE08B2-8ECE-4289-8F46-0DFFACBBD400.jpeg

I have personally killed at least a dozen deer and probably more antelope than that with a 22-250 using 55 grain bullets. Now, none of them were shot at any long distances 200-300 yards but none of them got away either. It would not be my first choice for a light weight deer rifle but if you keep the range you are hunting at and the velocity and ft lbs of energy in mind, it should work just fine. The 22-250 is a bad *** round.
What bullet? Thanks Tribb

It should work fine. I run a 1/9" in 22-250 and a 1/8" in 22-250AI, and I have had good results with Barnes 62gr TTSX, 75-80gr AMAX, and the 62 TBBC. I have some 70gr NAB's, but due to other loads' success, I haven't shot a deer with those yet.

Your thoughts on the Tikka 8 twist 22/250 for a light weight deer rifle using hammer 75 to 85? Bullets. Thanks for your inputs all
A 22/250 is an incredible small big game round (deer/lopes). I've been using one since 1978 and have never found it to let me down. 8 twist just adds to your options though you just can't improve on the killing ability of the 55's-63's that I've been using for 45 years.

We've taken small big game to as far as 505 yards (lope, took one step and pitched over). The bullet's we've mainly used are the 60 Horn HP, 55 Horn w/c, and my favorite the 63 Sierra. And back when we could get them the 52/55/60 Nosler Solid Base.

In the last few years we have a string of 49 one shot kills, with only two of the 49 doing anything more than going straight down! Of the two that took a few steps one went 15 yards and one went about 40. These were taken from 35 yds to 400. Behind the front shoulder placements, not CNS.

So, IME you're in a very good place with your 22/250 and if you choose to use some of the heavier bullets they'll do just fine as well. But, IME it's impossible to do any better than you can with the standard CNC bullets. The one diff you'll see when using the harder bullets is that the critters will typically run a way. Still very dead non the less.

We've taken a few elk as well, using the same 55's-63 soft points. Last year I shot a mongo sized cow a bit over 300. She took it low behind the front, bullet went thru the lungs, exited and she took a quick very short dash to Croak City Wyoming. Pretty darn typical.

You're in good hands, so let er buck!

Edited to add, that the numbers of game we've taken with the 22/250 and Swift is well into the triple didgets. They're way under rated....especially those that haven't experienced them. A friend of mine from here in Montana who I feel is far and away the most experienced NA hunter alive used a Sako/Swift for all his work for decades.

Last edited:
A 22/250 is an incredible small big game round (deer/lopes). I've been using one since 1978 and have never found it to let me down. 8 twist just adds to your options though you just can't improve on the killing ability of the 55's-63's that I've been using for 45 years.

We've taken small big game to as far as 505 yards (lope, took one step and pitched over). The bullet's we've mainly used are the 60 Horn HP, 55 Horn w/c, and my favorite the 63 Sierra. And back when we could get them the 52/55/60 Nosler Solid Base.

In the last few years we have a string of 49 one shot kills, with only two of the 49 doing anything more than going straight down! Of the two that took a few steps one went 15 yards and one went about 40. These were taken from 35 yds to 400. Behind the front shoulder placements, not CNS.

So, IME you're in a very good place with your 22/250 and if you choose to use some of the heavier bullets they'll do just fine as well. But, IME it's impossible to do any better than you can with the standard CNC bullets. The one diff you'll see when using the harder bullets is that the critters will typically run a way. Still very dead non the less.

We've taken a few elk as well, using the same 55's-63 soft points. Last year I shot a mongo sized cow a bit over 300. She took it low behind the front, bullet went thru the lungs, exited and she took a quick very short dash to Croak City Wyoming. Pretty darn typical.

That's awesome thanks

Noe

Nosler regularly sells the 64gr bonded solid base factory seconds on shooters pro shop, if you're still wanting some. They shoot great in my 223 and probably would be stellar in 22-250

Edited to add, that the numbers of game we've taken with the 22/250 and Swift is well into the triple didgets. They're way under rated....especially those that haven't experienced them. A friend of mine from here in Montana who I feel is far and away the most experienced NA hunter alive used a Sako/Swift for all his work for decades.
You should give the 77 grain Sierra tipped matchkings a try. They are a mean bullet. We killed a few animals this year with them and that's going to be the 22 cal bullet of choice for anything over coyotes for us.

Thanks for the suggestion Laker, I've heard the same thing from Beretz so I'm guessing I'll have to saddle up and give them a go.

Hope you and the fam have a fantastic holiday season!

Recent Posts