Tight Throat?

I think what you call the throat, I call the lead. The throat, to me, begins with the rifling. It's cut with a pretty standard angle, most normally, transitioning from 0.2845" tapering down to full land ID of ~0.276" in the bore.

So tight throat isn't the question. But rather a tight "lead"? Or even more likely, a lead cut with a raised burr/flaw.

I am suspicious of a sharp ring or burr in the lead section of your chamber caused by the chamber reamer at the time it was rotating - cutting the chamber.

An inspection using a bore scope would show if this is present or not.

I do suspect something is amiss - not 100% right.

Yes I do mean lead not throat. I will get in touch with my gunsmith to have him take a look with his borescope, I really appreciate your help. At any rate I got my ammo to chamber as well as it did the first 50 rounds...and I was averaging around .75 moa before working up a load so either way the rifle is shooting well.

Nice accuracy. Sounds like a shooter. Might have a small bug (burr) in there.

I expect it to fixable, no matter...

Do you think it would harm anything to shoot the remaining 20 "bad" rounds I have to get them fireformed and then straighten them out? I was showing no pressure signs at all with the others.

Do you think it would harm anything to shoot the remaining 20 "bad" rounds I have to get them fireformed and then straighten them out? I was showing no pressure signs at all with the others.
No, I do not. Free fire zone? Fire at will! :)

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I'm having the same problem with a new CA Mesa in 6.5 CM. Only I'm getting the rough marks all the way around the bullet ogive. I figured something was going on with my hand loads, so I chambered a couple of factory 143 eldx, they did the same thing. I had to tap the bolt rearward with a rubber mallet. The round chambered fine, and the bolt closed fine. But it seems the bullet is being jammed into the throat.

Attachments

• E19AA229-572E-46DB-B32B-37E005AC3C1F.jpeg
    E19AA229-572E-46DB-B32B-37E005AC3C1F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts