action tight

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bghunter76, Apr 30, 2011.

1. bghunter76

bghunter76 Member

i made some rounds up to the lenght of a bullet i shut n chamber. Then i loaded up some rounds and the action is tight at closing the action and real tight opening it. have to bang bolt to open it. do i need seat bullet farther. any help be appreciated thanks.

2. tomestone

tomestone Well-Known Member

Hello bghunter what are you loading? Need specs.

3. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Being that tight sounds like you may not have sized them enough, bump the shoulder back, is it a bolt gun, and did you check just the brass after sizing for smooth fit?You also have to keep length of brass in check or you might be almost crimping with that kind of force.

4. Sniper 865

Sniper 865 New Member

gun)Sounds like you loaded brass that was fired from a different rifle with less head space than yours, or your sizing die was set to high. Follow die manufacturers directions and this wont happen. Remember that with sizing dies, small adjustments make big diferences.

5. bghunter76

bghunter76 Member

Sorry new to reloading it is a savage 7mm rm. the brass has been loaded bout 5 times just necked sized. i tried 1 piece after i found out they were tight and it tight also. Don't think i can push it back with muy neck die can i. thanks

6. tomestone

tomestone Well-Known Member

hello bghunter76 sounds like you need to shoulder bump them back .002 or resize them and check o.a.l. Which brass are you using,what is your load?:)

7. bogger01

bogger01 Well-Known Member

try running it through a full length sizer die and see if this helps.also,have you been trimming your case.the recomended saami spec on the case length is 2.50.you should also measure the resized case above the belt and compare it to a new case.sometimes the area above the belt will expand and cause the round to be hard to chamber.

8. bghunter76

bghunter76 Member

Hello thanks for all the help. yes i trimmed them or checked them each time. i put my calipers on the case and it is a bit bigger towards the belt. Is it ok to shoot the rounds i loaded up to work up my load still. will it b consistante still. thanks

9. tunered

tunered Member

Its not going to hurt anything to shoot them, just a PIA with hard bolt, you will have to get a FL or bump die, soon. ed

10. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Run them through the dies a few times measure the case to about .002 under size and check every cartridge for a burr. Break out the felt marker and paint every round that is tight, if you find one that is tight, by the mark on the brass you will find the problem. you will see a area the brass has been marked and go from there.
    I have had this problem a lot when I woud scrounge brass at the Range.

11. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Also!!! cycle every round tou make if you are a bit long when you pull it out the bullet will be stuck on the lands of the Barrel..it happens or has happend to just about every loader.
    I felt mark every few rounds just to see if I am touching the Lands, if so I would back off, .001.
    to start.