TI action Honeing....who does it?? FOUND SMITH

kaseyfied

I have a TI action that's a little tight.. want to get it honed out.. anyone know who does this?

Kasey

I've got a Sunnen hone on my project list but won't get to it until spring.

Am curious if anyone offers that particular service.

The bolt raceway? I work in the titanium industry and it takes a special stone shoe in a hone to remove titanium. Especially if it's the bolt raceway with all the interrupted surfaces. You can use a silicone carbide ball hone to remove small amounts. Amazon stocks 18mm .709" carbide flex hones. 13 bucks I believe. Use lots of cutting oil if u go this route. My guess is it'll take you up to an hour to take a couple thousands out.

Yeah, I've read you need stones that will work with the interrupted cut. Planned on looking into that. Still need to get the Sunnen or of storage and make sure it works.

Mind me asking what the proper stones cost you? If the cost is outrageous I might just buy a raceway reamer.

I can find out. They aren't too bad but the first time I tried honing with stones for steel I spent and hour and it didn't touch it. That's when I called my sunnen rep and asked what to use.

The bolt raceway? I work in the titanium industry and it takes a special stone shoe in a hone to remove titanium. Especially if it's the bolt raceway with all the interrupted surfaces. You can use a silicone carbide ball hone to remove small amounts. Amazon stocks 18mm .709" carbide flex hones. 13 bucks I believe. Use lots of cutting oil if u go this route. My guess is it'll take you up to an hour to take a couple thousands out.
Not titanium.

Chad Dixon @ LRI does this and has the special hones for the interrupted cuts. I'm not sure if he has the hones needed for the titanium material though. Sounds like he does it all the time so the clearances don't get too tight when coating actions. Give him a call he's a good guy to talk to and will tell it like it is.

Chad Dixon @ LRI does this and has the special hones for the interrupted cuts. I'm not sure if he has the hones needed for the titanium material though. Sounds like he does it all the time so the clearances don't get too tight when coating actions. Give him a call he's a good guy to talk to and will tell it like it is.
The Defiance Ti is not titanium. Sorry if I was misunderstood.