thumbhole stocks

mark308

I notice that all the longerange rifles do not use a thumble style stock. I was thinking of puttting one on my new rifle. 300rum. Im I making a mistake? this is a hunting rifle for 400-600yd shooting. antelope-elk. how about a "dual grip" ?

What do you call long range?

This was 1140 yards with a Joel Russo stock.

You will notice it has Luepy V3 and a sunshade on it in the middle of the day.

1140-4_edited.jpg

thanks for the photo. like I said I just hadnt seen very many thumbhole styles in use. I prefer to use one, just was wondering what others use and why.

Lots of folks like thumbholes. Myself included. If you like 'em that's all that matters. Only downside I can think of is having to take your thumb out to flick the safety. Or learning to flip the safety with your trigger finger.

I've never had a problem. And I've never had to think about it when hunting.

No downers on the thumbhole stock whatever.

I've been using one on a walk & stalk rifle for big game, varmints and predators for over 30 years.

My LRH rifle has a thumb hole and my 338 RUM is about to.

The biggest plus is that if the thumb hole/pistol grip is properly fitted the trigger finger comes straight back under almost all conditions.

Also, I shoot everything single shot and notice no handicaps with the thumb hole.

I feel that the key to things is the 'fitting' of the thumb hole and pistol grip. Be careful material is much more difficult to put back than remove.:eek:

As was said above, personal preference plays a big part in the this.

I have been shooting a thumbhole McMilan for the past two years as a carry and longrange unit. Love it and my next build will have a thumbhole as well - only probably with Manners MCS-GAT.

I put a pro-hunter thumbhole stock on my TC Encore. I really love the way it fits. A good thumbhole stock is hard to beat.

Building this one right now to shoot in competition but have used the AI stocks for years and love them the one in the pic is a AI rifle in 338.

thumbholeSilho_lg.jpg

PIGKILLERS.jpg

a thumbhole stock is in my opinion the most comfortable stock out there... but i also like the vertical grips too. so i guess it all comes down to personal preference

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.