thumbhole stocks

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by mark308, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mark308

mark308 Well-Known Member

I notice that all the longerange rifles do not use a thumble style stock. I was thinking of puttting one on my new rifle. 300rum. Im I making a mistake? this is a hunting rifle for 400-600yd shooting. antelope-elk. how about a "dual grip" ?

2. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

What do you call long range?

This was 1140 yards with a Joel Russo stock.

You will notice it has Luepy V3 and a sunshade on it in the middle of the day.

[​IMG]

3. mark308

mark308 Well-Known Member

thanks for the photo. like I said I just hadnt seen very many thumbhole styles in use. I prefer to use one, just was wondering what others use and why.

4. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Lots of folks like thumbholes. Myself included. If you like 'em that's all that matters. Only downside I can think of is having to take your thumb out to flick the safety. Or learning to flip the safety with your trigger finger.

I've never had a problem. And I've never had to think about it when hunting.

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

No downers on the thumbhole stock whatever.

I've been using one on a walk & stalk rifle for big game, varmints and predators for over 30 years.

My LRH rifle has a thumb hole and my 338 RUM is about to.

The biggest plus is that if the thumb hole/pistol grip is properly fitted the trigger finger comes straight back under almost all conditions.

Also, I shoot everything single shot and notice no handicaps with the thumb hole.

I feel that the key to things is the 'fitting' of the thumb hole and pistol grip. Be careful material is much more difficult to put back than remove.:eek:

As was said above, personal preference plays a big part in the this.

6. VSSF

VSSF Well-Known Member

Thumbholes.

I like mine. Go to the store and try a couple out and see what you think.
    [​IMG]

7. 284stak

284stak Well-Known Member

I have been shooting a thumbhole McMilan for the past two years as a carry and longrange unit. Love it and my next build will have a thumbhole as well - only probably with Manners MCS-GAT.

8. WAMBO

WAMBO Well-Known Member

9. teddy12b

teddy12b Well-Known Member

I put a pro-hunter thumbhole stock on my TC Encore. I really love the way it fits. A good thumbhole stock is hard to beat.

10. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

I have an MPI thumbhole and really like it. All my other rifles (longrange or not) are getting thumbholes now. :D

11. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Building this one right now to shoot in competition but have used the AI stocks for years and love them the one in the pic is a AI rifle in 338.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. browningvarmintwssm

browningvarmintwssm Active Member

a thumbhole stock is in my opinion the most comfortable stock out there... but i also like the vertical grips too. so i guess it all comes down to personal preference