thumbhole stocks

hjl

In the future I plan to up grade to a thumb hole stock.I have a rem 700 adl with a synthetic stock.What do you think is the best synthetic thumb hole stock ? What are the bell & carlson thumb hole stocks like? What do you think is the best laminated thumb hole stock?
I plan to pillar bed the stock.
I plan to rebarrel to a #7 contour barrel.
Hope to hear from all.
Regards
hjl

I love the thumbholes. I have two 1k BR comp guns with thumbholes and just got a new hunting thumbhole.

I use the laminated stocks by Bruce Baer in PA. www.baercustomrifles.com. He has over 50 patterns and all colors. (717) 349-4077. His delivery time (really his wife Gerry) is about 2-3 weeks.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek003.html

this is one of his thumbhole rollover cheekpiece BR models.

BH

You may want to check with Joel Russo. Here is a synapsis of what he is doing.

Ok fellas in order to help Joel out a bit I have complied from the past 14 pages of info a complete description and or modifications he can perform for your desired item.

Comb height is the same as the non-adjustable MacMillan.

Any colors you want in the A-5 style.
Any color from pink to black.
Black/ Grey, Black/Dark Green/Brown, Black/Brown,
Black/Black, Desert Camo, Forest Camo (green/black/brown),
Light Blonde

If you send me a blank the minimum specs are 36"x8"x4". If you can send it slightly larger it would be easier for me to shape it before it goes into the duplicator.

They will be inletted to your choice of action included in the cost.
Remington 700 SA, LA, RH, LH, ADL, BDL (They are offered in both long and short action, and they weigh 3.5lbs in the long and approx 3.7 in the short.)
Winchester M70 LH, RH
Savage (I also need to know if it's a pre AccuTrigger.)
Browning A-Bolt LH, RH
Nesika, Bat, and most all other custom actions (if you have a stock inletted for a certain action we dont offer send me the stock and I can duplicate it)

Custom cuts can be added, ie. wider forearms, thumbholes etc. These stocks come with a 14 1/2" LOP, cut to your desired LOP. These are not "drop in units". They must be final finished. The bbl contour will be close. There are so many different countours/numbers by so many different manufacturers, we would'nt be able to get it exact without having your barreled action. The foreend will be approx 1.5 inches longer than a McMillan to allow for those with the longer barrels. This also allows you to cut it to your desired length. You could order yours with the sling swivels pre drilled. All of this with no additional costs!

If you want an A-5L style stock duplicated into your provided "blank", the cost is $100.00. plus shipping.

If I am not able to inlet for your action, send me a stock off the gun, and I'll dupe off of your stock. I do not drill for pillars as there are too many different sizes.

$265.00 for the stock, inletted with bbl channel
$75.00 for recoil pad installed (you send the one in you want or we put one on for you of your choice)
$15.00 shipping
We are still running 2 to 3 weeks delivery time.

I would be willing to bet that the laminate is much more rigid than any composite stock. Think about it, hundreds of thin pieces of wood with a coating of epoxy between each then pressed together under significant pressure. The piece becomes saturated with epoxy. That is about as rigid as you're going to get.

I can PM you his phone number if you wish.

I ordered an H.S. Precision thumbhole sporter a few eeks ago. they say it is about an 8-10 week turn around time.

I reciently became the owner of a Lonewolf thumbhole and its very nice , comfortable comes up well and fits pretty good and the fit will be better when i get the new recoil pad on to add some length. Its pretty light to just under 2lbs with the weight of a 1" Decelerator pad

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered an H.S. Precision thumbhole sporter a few weeks ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get the Tac or Sporter? I have the Sporter and it fits me like a glove.Mine took 4 weeks.I thought it was going to be a bit lighter then it is but its lighter then the factory Lam. it replaced. The only thing I was not to pleased about was the paint job for the extra 60 bucks. I could have done a better job myself with an airbrush. Other then that it was a drop in fit no problems at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Custom cuts can be added, ie. wider forearms, thumbholes etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joel does not put thumbholes in the A5L. He has a different stock that is a thumbhole.

I ordered the sporter with an extra 1/4" lop and had them install a recoil suppressor. I'm having them do it because I was feeling lazy when I ordered the stock. I'll post an update when it finally gets here in 2-3 more weeks. They still haven't even taken the funds out, which is how I will know when they send it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.