Thumbhole Stock

If you are comparing similarily profiled stocks, then the answer is "no".

Key words are "similarily profiled". At that point, It's all a matter of personal preference assuming the fit and bedding are correct...

Are there accuracy advantages with a thumbhole stock over a conventional sporter ?

It depends on the conditions used.

Of the bench they have a more natural hand to trigger position like the tactical
stocks. also if you do a lot of off hand shooting they allow for a better stance.

The down side is if you are hunting in cold weather, gloves can interfere with trigger
acquisition and also in a fast fire situation like on dangerous game. (The Thumb hole stocks
even though they feel good are not as natural to most hunters.

For varmint hunting off a bench they are great but again in cold weather they can be
troublesome.

I have and like both styles and they both have there place and benafits.

So if they are more comfortable the way you shoot chances are they are more accurate
because you can be more consistant in the shooting position.

Some hate them and some love them, but like the vertical grip of the tactical stocks they
may have an accuracy advantage over a standard stock.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Shooting a thumbhole stock feels like shootimg a pistol with a rifle attached.

I shot pistol competition before I acquired my first rifle, and that was great trigger control training for rifle shooting.

IMO, except maybe for benchrest type shooting, the thumbhole stock or similar vertical tactical type grip just lends itself to better control of the rifle and its trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts