Throat Maintenance

One_Duck_Limit

I've read a couple articles that state keeping the throat smooth is important to stable pressures and accuracy. None of the articles went into much detail about how to polish the throat and how often it needs to be done.

What do you all do to maintain your chamber throats?

I've read a couple articles that state keeping the throat smooth is important to stable pressures and accuracy. None of the articles went into much detail about how to polish the throat and how often it needs to be done.

What do you all do to maintain your chamber throats?

1 = Never Polish any part of the chamber, It will only shorten barrel life.

2 = Bore solvents will clean everything well if used properly.

3 = If carbon builds up, there are carbon solvents that will remove it without using any abrasives.

4 = Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Asking questions is the best way to find out the correct way and with enough opinions, you will see the trend for doing things the right way.

J E CUSTOM

3 = If carbon builds up, there are carbon solvents that will remove it without using any abrasives.

4 = Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Asking questions is the best way to find out the correct way and with enough opinions, you will see the trend for doing things the right way.

J E CUSTOM

This guy is a good source of help. Now that you know the facts; relax, do it like he described it and enjoy your shooting experience.
gun) - - - - - - - - - (X)
Be especially focused on what he said in #4. You dont have to try very hard to get a lot of BS in Internet forums.
I have read about 100 bronze brush strokes needed to get a barrel "clean", 50 strokes, overnight soaking, and another 50 strokes; voodoo principles about removing polishing chemicals from brass after tumbling, and the list goes on. If it sounds like voodoo, it's voodoo......

4 = Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What??????

Thanks for the advice. I recently build a custom rifle and want to take care of it the best way possible.

J E CUSTOM

+1! A good cleaning rod (I prefer one piece) and rod guide never hurts.

+1! A good cleaning rod (I prefer one piece) and rod guide never hurts.

Like so many things in the firearm industry, I used to think there "couldnt" be that much difference between the medium priced parts and the higher end parts.

Last year I picked up 3 nylon coated J Dewey rods at an estate sale for a couple bucks. I seriously like them a lot. Ill never go back to the cheap mulit-piece metal rods.

JE is spot on.

Over cleaning and especially bore paste is responsible for a good percentage of our (the whole industry) barrel work every year. There is only one way to ruin a barrel and that is by sticking stuff in it other than bullets. The "break in" process takes a measurable toll on a barrel. On a quality barrel and chamber job the break in is over on the first shot. I really try to discourage cleaning except for when it's being put away for an extended time to prevent rust. If the accuracy starts to fade then cleaning is warranted but other than that leave the bore alone. The throat will be taken care of when the rest of the barrel is. If you focus on the throat you just accelerate the wear there.

I like bore guides and coated rods on a clean barrel but do not saw away on a dirty barrel with one as they hold grit that turns it into a big file. Just wipe it off after regularly while brushing. A good one piece stainless rod will not hold as much grit but will leave impact marks on the rifling if you ever have to smack the end of it to get it going. They need a gentle touch or I can see they marks they leave in a barrel.

When you do clean let the solvents do the work. Follow the instructions or risk etching the bore with ammonia based solvents. I like Bore Tech Eliminator products because they can be left to soak overnight. On really bad ones I cork the muzzle and fill the bore and let it soak overnight. I do recommend keeping the cocking cam, lugs and abutments cleaned and greased after every outing to keep the wear on the action to a minimum.
eliminator_small.jpg

Enjoy your new rifle.

Like so many things in the firearm industry, I used to think there "couldnt" be that much difference between the medium priced parts and the higher end parts.

Last year I picked up 3 nylon coated J Dewey rods at an estate sale for a couple bucks. I seriously like them a lot. Ill never go back to the cheap mulit-piece metal rods.

Same here; that's an excellent buy.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.