throat erosion

mok

i was just wondering if anybody on here can share a good method of measuring throat erosion?

If you have your original cartridge base to lands measurement, you can remeasure that distance to monitor advancement of the lands. If not, get someone knowledgeable, to borescope it and give you an assessment of it's current condition. You can use a Hornady OAL gauge, for each bullet you use, to establish your cartridge base to lands length for each bullet. I measure this distance for each new barrel and measure it every 100-250 rds, depending on how hot a cartridge it is. A borescope examination is critical to see exactly what shape your throat and barrel is in.

Simplest/easiest/cheapest method.

New or fired/resized case, cut three equal spaced cuts in the neck of the brass with your cutoff wheel in a dremel.

Remove the burrs.

Bend the three tabs created to create neck tension, push bullet in case, leave bullet protruding from case, insert case in chamber, gently close bolt.

Record the length/date/round count in each barrels book. Periodically check throat erosion as you see fit.

some very good ideas thanks everyone ill have to start measuring it from now on as i dont have a measurement from when the rifle was new...thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.