Thoughts on these 130's for the 264 win mag

Bob L.

Going to build dad a 264 win mag. It is going to be a pack gun that needs to shoot close up in the timber out to 600-700 yards on deer, bear, and elk. what is your thoughts on using these 130's. Scirocco, ttsx, sst's, and accubonds?
Thanks for any input. Was hoping I could get around 3300fps with these 130's.
Thanks
Bob

Going to build dad a 264 win mag. It is going to be a pack gun that needs to shoot close up in the timber out to 600-700 yards on deer, bear, and elk. what is your thoughts on using these 130's. Scirocco, ttsx, sst's, and accubonds?
Thanks for any input. Was hoping I could get around 3300fps with these 130's.
Thanks
Bob

I played with those things for years, and handloaded for all of them. To be honest, they barely outperform a .270 winchester and use a lot more powder and are a lot louder.
Make sure you have a 26" barrel, and approach max loads with caution. I had best luck with most of mine on 120 grain bullets, but the 130's should work fine. These rifles are very picky about loads, and, it will take a patient approach to get the most out of it.
For shooting Bear and Elk out to 600+ yards, I would recommend going with a 30 cal magnum. The .264 will do the job, but, it is a light caliber for that size game at those ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.