Thoughts on .264 Win Mag

CatShooter- I recognize it is a shortened H&H case and that the 264 is just necked down more than the 300 win mag to hold a 6.5 bullet. I am not stupid, so quite chastising.

More specifically, my question is how does the 300 hold up ballistically compared to the 264 win mag up to 1000 yards? Also, any significant difference on deer sized game in lethality?

CatShooter- I recognize it is a shortened H&H case and that the 264 is just necked down more than the 300 win mag to hold a 6.5 bullet. I am not stupid, so quite chastising.

More specifically, my question is how does the 300 hold up ballistically compared to the 264 win mag up to 1000 yards? Also, any significant difference on deer sized game in lethality?

Sorry... didn't mean to chastise you - the way titles read on this site, once you open them, the title is no longer part of the text, and I misread the paragraph.

I have a Sendero-II SF in .264, and I love it. It is very accurate - certainly accurate enough for 1,000yd work on a deer sized critter. Mine was bought for feral dogs and coyotes at 1,000yds.

Bullet choice would be critical, as terminal velocity would be low, so you want something that has a fairly soft jacket.

If it were mine, and it was to be basically a deer rifle, I would lean towards the 300 WM, because of the retained energy at 1,000, and the larger choice of bullets.

And, though my 264 is an easy rifle to load for (not at all "fussy"), some 264 WMs can be a booger to find a load for, but the 300 WM cartridge is such a joy to load for... 300 WMs shoot everything well. The 300 WM has won more 1,000yd matches than all other cartridges combined. I have a 300 WM, and everything that comes out of the barrel is accurate.

Last edited:
Catshooter- I really appreciate your response. I wanted someone with 1st hand info on both cartridges. I think the 300 wm will be the direction I will head. Should have better barrel life also.

Catshooter- I really appreciate your response. I wanted someone with 1st hand info on both cartridges. I think the 300 wm will be the direction I will head. Should have better barrel life also.

I think that is wise - I had one of the original Winchester "Westerners", in 264, and I liked shooting it, and ate up the barrel just playing.

With this Sendero-II SF, I have been very careful working up loads with minimum rounds expenditure and once the best load is nailed in, it will only be used on furry critters unless there is need to check/adjust loads - I am going to stretch the barrel life out on this puppy.

Let me know how your 300 works out.

By the way... two of my close shooting friends are using 300WM Sendero-II SF's for 1,000 "F" class shooting - all they did to the rifles is glass the action in the H-S stock, and adjust the trigger, and both shooters are doing very well, and say that the rifles can compete on an even keel with almost anything on the line.

The triggers on these Sendero-II's are the new Mark-X trigger and they adjust easily - mine is 24 oz.

Enjoy

The .264 is a necked down .338 Win Mag, not a .300. The .300 is the odd ball.

The 264 WM, 7mm RM, and 338 WM all share the same case.

I have shot a 264 since 1964, 3 barrels, my fault hunting prairie dogs, just recently bored out the barrel to handle a necked down 7mm dakota to 6.5 case. It is much more accurate than the .264 and much less finiky. Just killed a coyote at 873 yards,first shot stopped him and the second shot put him away. 3500 fps 120 grain barnes,80 grains h1000.

I have two 264 win mags that both shoot extremely well. I have not noticed them being hard to load for. They push a 140 berger with a .640 BC between 3200-3300 fps with excellent accuracy. Compare the 300 win mag velocities and BC's and see which one looks better at long range. Both will shoot equally accurate.

The 264 has been my coyote gun since 1964. I ruined the first 2 barrels shooting coyotes and praire dogs, shooting until the gun was to hot to touch. Put a douglas barrel on it in 1980 and am still shooting .6 groups threw the barrel,granted, I dont have many riflings for the first one half inch and the gun dont like small bullets now. I converted the old barrel to 7mm dakota necked down to my old 264 and the accuracy came back. I have killed hundreds of coyotes with this caliber with the last being 873 yards. It dont have the kick of the big 7mms ,no muzzle brake-better to hunt with,but is every thing you could want on coyotes. I suspision that headspace is critical to m ake a factory 264 shoot well because of the belt. The dakota seems to be much less finiky I think because of the bullet being better center in the bore from shot to shot. Both shots went clear threw the coyote at 873 yds. Also, when winchester shortened the barrel of the 264 they took away a lot of its potential. Stay with 26inch or longer. Go with a scope with ballistiplex cross hairs for fast ranging,coyotes dont give you much time to shoot. I have this and the ranging turrets on the same scope-works great! The point of my duplex is 880 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.