Thoughts on Remington barrels?

MSU Marksman

It seems like my Rem Sendero in 270 and Rem VLS in 260, while good shooters, foul much more than any other factory barrel I've ever used. Now that I'm in the market for a new 223, I keep coming back to the Rem SPS Varmint or the Rem SPS Tactical, but the fouling problems I've had on my other Remingtons is keeping me at bay. Has anyone else experienced heavy fouling with their Remingtons? Maybe I should look at the Tikka T3 Varmint instead?

Did you break in the barrel?

If not I would recommend cleaning and a proper break in of the barrel.

Factory barrels typically fowl worse than custom barrels because they have not been lapped
and need more break in.

J E CUSTOM

Remington makes pretty good tomato stakes in times of a drought. My suggestion for a .223 rifle is to look at most any other brand name as it will probably be better. But of course you could always find a nice donar action and have Pacnor rebarrel it for you. Or just goto Walmart and buy a .223 mod. 12 Savage, and be do with it.
gary

Factory barrels typically fowl worse than custom barrels because they have not been lapped and need more break in. J E CUSTOM[/QUOTE said:
Please explain hand lapping procedure.

I have a Rem 700 VLS in .22-250 that after 300 rounds still blues very badly, and accuracy is poor. Have tried all kinds of handloads, its glass bedded and recrowned, new scope, has been fire lapped, etc., but still have trouble getting under minute groups. Ready to order a Hart or Shilen barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.