Thoughts on IMR 7977

Thank you for all of your replies. Since my job is forcing me to take weekends off now maybe I will play with some of the older stuff that has been taking up space in the cabinet (IMR 4831,IMR 7828,RL-22) this weekend. If nothing really stands out then I'll see if I can spring for some 7977 on payday.

Here I am with deer season coming up and I am a casualty of the H1000 shortage.

A little local shop has a can of IMR 7977 on the shelf.
I'm just wondering if people have gotten the results they had hoped for with this powder?

It would be going in a Browning Xbolt 25-06 Norma cases, salt bath annealed. Winchester magnum primers. I'll be shooting the 115gr Berger VLD's, HBN coated with HBN.

I tried the 4166 in 7mm-08 and seemed to hit pressure signs pretty quick and didn't really get the accuracy I was hoping for.

Anyway..... please share your thoughts.
dear xp100, I have found you h1000.how much do you need. here is the fly. I live in n.c. ,this is in 1# cans. I am not sure what the hazmat is and if I can do it or how.i just called to see if he has in stock. he is hard to work him with , almost be better to to use 7977. I may say I have this sold for you the h1000 , and he may say lets do it.let me kno your thoughts and how much, just remember the hazmat ,the cost of the powder,i am guessing is 32.95 a #,thanks buck in n.c. I will get the price and if he will do it,i will help with this so just maybe.again buck in n.c.

Thank you for all of your replies. Since my job is forcing me to take weekends off now maybe I will play with some of the older stuff that has been taking up space in the cabinet (IMR 4831,IMR 7828,RL-22) this weekend. If nothing really stands out then I'll see if I can spring for some 7977 on payday.
dear HNDLDR, I send my reply to xp 100, I have a source for h 1000, there is a gunshop here that has it. let me kno your thoughts. I would say he has at 8#, I live in n.c.

I finally have something really pertinent to add to this discussion rather than just theoretical. My 25-06 with 100 to 120 grain slugs especially the 115 grain Berger slugs loved 57.5 grains of RamShot Magnum for longer ranges. I tried RL-22 with rather good results (best results were with 52.8 grains). AA Magpro worked very well and was the most consistently good powder for all weather conditions (56.8-56.9 grains). deep into winter Vihta-Vouri N-165 54.1 grains worked superbly, but never use this powder in hot weather. very unpredictable pressures.

dear HNDLDR, I send my reply to xp 100, I have a source for h 1000, there is a gunshop here that has it. let me kno your thoughts. I would say he has at 8#, I live in n.c.

I appreciate the heads up on the H1000. It would cost me a little more then I'd like to spent to get it here. I think I'm gonna try the 7977 and see what happens.

You may call me old school but I have been shooting the 25-06 Rem for over 25 years and never needed anything but IMR or AA 4350 or H-4831 for 100 to 120 gr bullets. Kills deer out to a bit over 500 yards with no problem. In my current 25-06 which is a Rem 700 action 26" SS Shilen #6 I use Rem. fully prepped cases, CCI 250 primer, 49 grs of either IMR or AA 4350 (they shoot the same in my rifle), 117 Sierra Pro Hunter and averages 3000 fps. Shoots bug holes at 100 yards and 1/3 MOA from there on to 500 on no wind days. For some reason my rifle does not like boat tail bullets all that great but the flat base Pro Hunter is benchrest accuracy. This bullet kills deer dead in their tracks 99% of the time and I have killed 100+ with it, (did crop damage control for 15 years). I have killed deer with most everything between a sharp stick and a 45-70 and in my experience nothing kills them dead in their tracks like the 25-06 with most any cup and core 100 to 120 gr bullet. Good luck in getting ready for deer season.

I appreciate the heads up on the H1000. It would cost me a little more then I'd like to spent to get it here. I think I'm gonna try the 7977 and see what happens.
You'll know if you have a backup powder then. I always try to have 2 powders per bullet and 2 bullets per gun for hunting rigs because powder and some bullets get scarce at times. That's why I never bothered developing a load for my 6.5 PRC with RL26, can't buy it.

You may call me old school but I have been shooting the 25-06 Rem for over 25 years and never needed anything but IMR or AA 4350 or H-4831 for 100 to 120 gr bullets. Kills deer out to a bit over 500 yards with no problem. In my current 25-06 which is a Rem 700 action 26" SS Shilen #6 I use Rem. fully prepped cases, CCI 250 primer, 49 grs of either IMR or AA 4350 (they shoot the same in my rifle), 117 Sierra Pro Hunter and averages 3000 fps. Shoots bug holes at 100 yards and 1/3 MOA from there on to 500 on no wind days. For some reason my rifle does not like boat tail bullets all that great but the flat base Pro Hunter is benchrest accuracy. This bullet kills deer dead in their tracks 99% of the time and I have killed 100+ with it, (did crop damage control for 15 years). I have killed deer with most everything between a sharp stick and a 45-70 and in my experience nothing kills them dead in their tracks like the 25-06 with most any cup and core 100 to 120 gr bullet. Good luck in getting ready for deer season.

That's been my experience with the 25-06 too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.