Thoughts on IMR 7977

HNDLDR

Here I am with deer season coming up and I am a casualty of the H1000 shortage.

A little local shop has a can of IMR 7977 on the shelf.
I'm just wondering if people have gotten the results they had hoped for with this powder?

It would be going in a Browning Xbolt 25-06 Norma cases, salt bath annealed. Winchester magnum primers. I'll be shooting the 115gr Berger VLD's, HBN coated with HBN.

I tried the 4166 in 7mm-08 and seemed to hit pressure signs pretty quick and didn't really get the accuracy I was hoping for.

Anyway..... please share your thoughts.

I have used it for 4-5 yrs, in 6 comp match and 7 saum, it may be safe to assume it will not yield the speeds you had or desire, but the accuracy should be there. Along with cleaner, and more consistency lot to lot.
So it wont be a drop in fit, need to do some work.

I have used it for 4-5 yrs, in 6 comp match and 7 saum, it may be safe to assume it will not yield the speeds you had or desire, but the accuracy should be there. Along with cleaner, and more consistency lot to lot.
So it wont be a drop in fit, need to do some work.

Thanks for the reply. I might get to the same velocity as I got from H1000 just because I wasn't pushing a max load.
It's always a good time when you get to start at the bottom and work your way up.

It's a touch slower and has more case fill then h1000. It's been years since I loaded a 25-06 with vlds but it should work.
Imr 7828 worked great in my buddy's 25-06 with the 115vld. It's not temp sensitive but with building a load so close to hunting season would be just fine and you will probably be able to Make an almost identical load to h1000 with it

It's a touch slower and has more case fill then h1000. It's been years since I loaded a 25-06 with vlds but it should work.
Imr 7828 worked great in my buddy's 25-06 with the 115vld. It's not temp sensitive but with building a load so close to hunting season would be just fine and you will probably be able to Make an almost identical load to h1000 with it[/QUOTE

Imr 7828 was actually one of the first powders I tried because my 300 Rum liked it. I got great velocities but I never could fine the accuracy I was looking for. This was before I started using the HBN. I got good accuracy with IMR 4831 so I was using that. When I started using the HBN, for whatever reason, my 4831 loads were no longer as accurate as I wanted. That's when I went to H1000.

Maybe it's time to try 7828 and 4831 again that I already have. I did really like the temp stability of H1000 though. That's why I was thinking 7977 might be worth a try.

Since it was one of the first powders u tried it could be that accuracy improved as your barrel broke in more?

I personaly was not impressed with it. It was very dirty to me. You sould try RL25 it is very close to H1000. That is what I would do if it were me.

I've loaded my 25-06 w/ RL16,23, & 26. All shot accurate w/ good speed. I'm running a 24" 8 twist so I load 120g Speer BTSPs but you should get 2900-3000 MVs if you have a 22" barrel. Grafs has RL 16, 17, and 23 in stock. All good powders and not temp sensitive. Gotta buy 4 lbs minimum at Grafs though.

Rhett

Since you already have R22 might give it a shot in that 25-06. It does quite nicely in my 270 and burn rate similar to H4831 which has been always been a good performer in 25-06 and 270 both.

Keep us posted and good luck.

H, though it's as scarce as H1000, Retumbo is killer in 25-06. Tried the 7977 in a 300 Wby and a 7mag. Was great in the Wby, but not so good in the 7 mag.

I have used 7977 in 2 7mmLRMs and a 6.5 PRC. I have been able to get similar results as H1000 but it always takes a touch more powder. So say where 69.1 of H1000 would give a certain velocity, I might go to 69.7 of the 7977. We just doped out one of the LRMs with 180 VLDs over 70.9 gr of 7977. When people say it seems dirty I assume they mean the patches during the carbon cleaning step seem blacker. They do,. But it suppresses copper build up. In these 2 LRMs I hardly get any copper build up, I see way more with H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts