Thoughts on factory rifles

Shooting equal weight bullets there will be no discernable difference in recoil between the 300wsm and 300wm.

More importantly there's absolutely nothing wrong with putting a good brake on a hunting rifle. It just makes them more enjoyable to shoot.

I'm sure your right about the recoil between mag and wsm but for some reason I find wsm more enjoyable to shoot.

Browning X-bolt SS-Stalker would be a great choice. X-bolts are very light weight and super nice. If you can find one of the Carbon Fiber models they have a fluted barrel and are slightly lighter. The carbon fiber is just for looks though. Tikkas are good too but the X-bolts are a liitle smoother and I like the lines of the X-bolt.

I sell all the rifles being discussed in this thread and they are all good rifles. It is going to come down to personal preference. Savages are good inexpensive rifles but in my opinion they are ugly as sin. I like purty rifles. :D

I'm sure your right about the recoil between mag and wsm but for some reason I find wsm more enjoyable to shoot.

Browning X-bolt SS-Stalker would be a great choice. X-bolts are very light weight and super nice. If you can find one of the Carbon Fiber models they have a fluted barrel and are slightly lighter. The carbon fiber is just for looks though. Tikkas are good too but the X-bolts are a liitle smoother and I like the lines of the X-bolt.

I sell all the rifles being discussed in this thread and they are all good rifles. It is going to come down to personal preference. Savages are good inexpensive rifles but in my opinion they are ugly as sin. I like purty rifles. :D
I know what you mean on the latter. I just can't bring myself to buy a Savage. Of course, for a few of the decades during that critical time where I was growing up and becoming a shooter they were also just crap.

As for personal choice. I'm primarily a Model 70 guy and I won't even own one of the sixties-eighties era post 64's without the claw extractor. To me, it's just not a real model 70 without it.

For what we spend on our rifles though and the importance we place on them as parts of our lives you might as well get what you want from the start.

IMG_2308.jpg
This is a beautiful rifle.

Well I went and tried them all and I kept coming back to the same one...it just "felt" the best to me.

Sako 85 finnlight 300 win, bought a Swarovski Z5 scope with ballistic turret ....they did not have any tally rings for it so I will have to track some down, I assume I can gt by with the low ones what do you think? scope is 44mm obj...might need mediums?

Well I went and tried them all and I kept coming back to the same one...it just "felt" the best to me.

Sako 85 finnlight 300 win, bought a Swarovski Z5 scope with ballistic turret ....they did not have any tally rings for it so I will have to track some down, I assume I can gt by with the low ones what do you think? scope is 44mm obj...might need mediums?
Depending on what scope base you use you should be more than ok with the Lows. With my rail mounted scopes even my 50mm Objectives clear just fine with TPS low rings. As a rule I like my scopes to ride as low as possible and still have clearance between the bell and barrel.

The best rifle is one that shoots well and fits you right and so you are already half way there.

My first five deer and dozen or so coyotes were all killed with a Sako Deluxe .243 that belonged to my dad's best friend. Great little rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.