This years elk and antelope.

land308

Just a few pictures from my rifle hunt this fall. Four animals in four days makes for a great hunt. The 1st 2 pictures are of my brother-in-law. This was his 1st year hunting. He shot the antelope at 200 yards with a 30-06 165 ballistic tip. He made a great neck shot although we misjudged the size of the doe(fawn).
huntingoct08075.jpg

This is his cow. 1st shot at 260 yards with my 300 winmag 180g ballistic tip did not get the job done. 2nd shot was at 350 and put her down hard. she had one high in the back and one right behind the shoulder. I still don't know which one was the 1st shot. I heard the hit and could not see a reaction at all. They are tough animals aren't they?
huntingoct08105.jpg

This is my bull and the recovered bullet. 171 yard shot hit right behind the shoulder. HE went about 40 yards wobbling after the 1st 10 yards. There was an exit hole but I found the jacket and lead just under the skin next to the exit hole. Not a monster, but I'm happy. It's my biggest thus far. Retained bullet weight was 127 grains.
huntingoct08082.jpg

huntingoct08097.jpg

oct08fieldtrip022.jpg

This is my antelope. At 507 yards this was the longest shot of the trip by far. I hit a little off on my mark. slight wind pushed the bullet more than I had anticipated. I hit her in the neck and she dropped like a ton of bricks. Again with a 180 ballistic tip.
huntingoct08101.jpg

I think next year I am going to go back to the 200 grain accubonds. I keep wondering if the ballistic tip would have held up if i had hit the bull in the shoulder. It did a number on this elk but I didn't even hit a rib and it was pretty beat up with jack/core separated.

well done guys. What unit were you hunting? Also, on the 180gr.btip I used it out of my 300rum and it didnt blow up. When I say that i mean I smoked a bull around the size of yours high in the should blade and it took out both shoulder blades and the back bone. It left and entrance hole but it wasnt really a hole more of a tear. It was about 50yrds. dropped in tracks.

Thanks for the comments. Ya , I think the brother in law is hooked. We have only been back a couple of weeks and he has already bought a new rifle. Rem 700 bdl in 30-06.

4 animals in 4 days is awsome! Glad you guys had a great trip, looks like alot more years of hunting for you and the brother in-law to come.

I think next year I am going to go back to the 200 grain accubonds.

Considering the differences in BC that would be a major upgrade. Who really cares about drop anyway, it's predictable.

Looks like there was plenty of gut piles....good job.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.