thermals

Can't imagine why it would be necessary. Unless you're in a stand or other stationary position the movement of air at point A will differ, often dramatically, from the air currents at point B. If it's scent you're concerned with. the distance,direction, elevation and intensity of scent depends on a lot more variables than the direction of the air currents. I would expect the presence of smoke, which will have a scent of its own that is unfamiliar to the deer, would represent a greater hunting success liability then a hunter's scent.

"Smoke in a bottle" will work for you.
If you're going to be out west, thermals will move downhill from before sunup till about 9 am. You'll feel them speed up right when the sun comes up. Don't confuse thermals with wind, they're different.

I was wondering about the scent being moved by thermals , wind one way ground thermals another

Last edited:
Gary its a good idea especially if you live close to the land you hunt.i live in the piedmont in s.c. without an overriding wind the thermals will be the same pretty much day after day and once you know what they are doing and can plan stand set up or still hunt accordingly. you dont have to do it during the deer season. one thing to watch is cover changes such as a block of timber being clearcut the removal of shading trees creating cool air may change the air flow.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.