Thermal - Long Range Hog Hunt - 16 Hogs Down

I know you are right about the throw them away. You just can not get all the small thorns out. You hit a nerve with the Tony Lama boot. At one time Tony Lama was the number one leader in western wear and boots. I worked for them for 22.5 years helping to take them from a 10 million dollar company to a 120 million dollar company. Justin our main competitor bought Tony Lama and started downsizing and cheapening the boot. Today Tony Lama is just a side line name for Justin. Back then boots were quality and made in USA. Now 90% are made in China. I can not bring myself to buy a Justin ( Tony Lama). Any other suggestions.

I know you are right about the throw them away. You just can not get all the small thorns out. You hit a nerve with the Tony Lama boot. At one time Tony Lama was the number one leader in western wear and boots. I worked for them for 22.5 years helping to take them from a 10 million dollar company to a 120 million dollar company. Justin our main competitor bought Tony Lama and started downsizing and cheapening the boot. Today Tony Lama is just a side line name for Justin. Back then boots were quality and made in USA. Now 90% are made in China. I can not bring myself to buy a Justin ( Tony Lama). Any other suggestions.
With all the guiding, mainly for quail hunts I tried just about all of the "snake proof" boots trying to keep the cactus spines out of my feet, ankles and calves and still be able to walk hard all day when needed.

Out of all of them I tried those are the best, second best would be the Muckboot "Woody Armor" that they have since discontinued. I've got a pair of them that are cracked and peeling in several key spots and I'd replace them if I could but I'm afraid to try anything else because stiff, cracked, and peeling, they still don't leak much and they still keep the cactus out!

I understand your feelings but they have the best reasonably priced product out there.

The Chippewah pull on's are a close second but they just didn't last as well as the TL's for me.

Justin, Tony Lama, Nocona, and Chippewah come out of the same pot. Justin wrecked 1000's of lives and wrecked an outstanding company. I will not wear any of their products!!! Enough of that. Well my brother and I had so much fun that we are going after them again. We are renting two thermal scopes and a monocular. Twice the fire power this time. We also hope to have time to try thermal coyote calling. We have been successful with lights, but why not thermals. If you have any tips you think would be helpful please let me know?

Justin, Tony Lama, Nocona, and Chippewah come out of the same pot. Justin wrecked 1000's of lives and wrecked an outstanding company. I will not wear any of their products!!! Enough of that. Well my brother and I had so much fun that we are going after them again. We are renting two thermal scopes and a monocular. Twice the fire power this time. We also hope to have time to try thermal coyote calling. We have been successful with lights, but why not thermals. If you have any tips you think would be helpful please let me know?
If you can, work pastures where cows/heifers are calving, they are a magnet for coyotes and cats.

I've shot four in the last week/ten days around the edges of and in my neighbors trap where they bring the heavy bred cows and heifers in to calve and that's just driving by, not seriously hunting it.

Checked out some thermal units at Houston Safari Club. I left wanting one bad!! In time. Need to save some $$$
Tex, I know so little about them all I can do is ask others who have really checked some of them out in person. Is there any one unit that you tried that can be bought at anything resembling a reasonable price that will get the job done?

If so have you got a link to it?

Thanks.

I picked up an Armasight 3-12x42 60 Hz unit off Amazon last year that works well for me when hog hunting at night. Easy to use, decent magnification, and good life when using new batteries. I use it on a LWRC 6.8 and have had no issues with it.

scrmblr and WR please move this thermal conversation over to the new thread Thermal Review. I started it to try and get these thermal questions and answers in one spot. Thanks. I appreciate all and love hearing everyone's thoughts, questions and ideas.

Tex, I know so little about them all I can do is ask others who have really checked some of them out in person. Is there any one unit that you tried that can be bought at anything resembling a reasonable price that will get the job done?

If so have you got a link to it?

Thanks.

The ones I looked at were 5k and up unfortunately, so I'd have to do some saving and put off that 300WM or 6.5 Saum build. I wish more stores carried them so you can check them out like other optics. I like one from a price point from Armasight that's about 3500 but I'd like to check the clarity of the imaging before buying. You can rent units from night vision rentals. Could allow you to handle and use before deciding to buy.

I bought a DPMS SASS 308. We will be doubling our fire power. Suggestions appreciated on any factory ammo. For now I do not what to start reloading for another caliber. Ammo must take a big hog down quickly when shot in a less than perfect area.

I'd look at nosler's 165gr partition load. I don't have any terminal performance experience with them but I liked the way A-Frames performed and they're pretty similar.

I had excellent results with Barnes Bullets over the years. I would say, that there is no magic bullet for killing hogs. I've gut shot a hog with a 338 Lappula magnum, and not recovered a body. If you miss the vitals, even with a large round, they can survive. Shot placement is critical with hogs!

I bought a DPMS SASS 308. We will be doubling our fire power. Suggestions appreciated on any factory ammo. For now I do not what to start reloading for another caliber. Ammo must take a big hog down quickly when shot in a less than perfect area.
Geo see if Barnes is making something in their Vor-TX line or go with the Hornady hog loads and you should be off to the races. I'd try to stay in the 160-175gr range.

Not sure if Nosler has a factory load with the partition but if they do it might be a good way to go.

Hornady is starting to put out some factory ammo again that's loaded with the Interbond and that's a great hog bullet as well so I'd look for it as well. Somewhere I picked up five boxes of Hornady .308 loaded with the 165gr Interbond to run through my M1A that I was setting up just for hog hunting and they did a great job. I think I'm down to about ten rounds left so I'm going to have to do some shopping and or some loading for it.

When you get some brass saved up we'll talk seriously about the bullet to load.

I was stunned at how well the Peregrine performed last night shooting through both shoulders and the spine on a 350 pounder at 40 yards with an impact speed of around 3,200fps. I really expected massive overexpansion if not complete breakup and it just did the opposite. Caliber sized entry, two finger damage through the muscle and 1 finger exit through the shield/skin. He wasn't the biggest hog I've killed but he was old and his shield was a good 1.5" thick and he was the fattest hog I've probably ever killed. He'd been eating way too well. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.