The Search for the Best Scope

yodasheet

Hey guys!

I've occasionally had the opportunity of deer hunting gun) with my friends rifle and it was always an amazing experience.

Last week I decided to pick it up as a serious hobby now but I still have lots to learn.

I'm sick of using my friend's gun and scope, so I've already purchased a rifle but i want to put some more research into scopes so thought I would ask you lovely people.

I've seen some great options compared on on old threads and am leaning towards the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn as it seems like a really great buy for the price.

I've set myself a budget of $250 for the scope – what do you guys recommend?

Thanks ahead for all the help!

First things first what are you looking to do with the gun? I know take a deer but more so in what type of country. If your looking for a scope to take deer out to say 450 and still have a close quarters gun, I would look to get a 3-12x42 type scope. Most all the companies make some sort of a drop compensated reticle. Vortex, Nikon and Burris all make a nice budget minded scope for everyday hunting that will get you years of good service. Pick up a mid-range range finder good to 800yrds and you should be set. I feel any animal (deer) beyond 250 yards should have a range put on him to make sure the proper shot placement can be achieved on the first shot (predators are different). The more you shoot at game the higher comfort level becomes, shots beyond 300 can be taken without a range but not with lots of practice. Good Luck!

yodasheet,

Twice in my hunting experience I breathed on the scope during trying to get on a deer. I have been selling all my other scopes and buying the newer Bushnells. They have a really nice 2 1/2-10X40 that has the hydro-phobic lenses. If I was in your place I would try to find a used one for you budget.

It is so nice to be in the woods and intentionally breathe on the scope and have it clear off in seconds instead of minutes or having to wipe the lens. Something I hate to do.

If you practice dry firing with the scope set on 10X and hunt with it on 2 1/2X it will seem like wide screen TV on the lower setting. Also by practicing on 10X it will force you to hold the rifle correctly for your viewing. Don't forget to turn the scope back to 2 1/2X after every practice session as a matter of habit.

I'm not going to lie to you. If you want something you can depend on to not let you down when you need it and not give you fits regarding consistent accuracy and repeatability, there really isn't much in the market at that price range. And if you still want to go that route there are lots of questions to be considered.

How far are you going to shoot? if you are dialing turrets at long range you aren't going to be happy with that level of scope for repeatable zero and turret adjustment.

What cartridge size? I wouldn't put very many scopes in that price range on a magnum gun.

In that price range I always suggest buying something with a reticle that can be used for longer shots instead of using the turrets. Much less chance of messing up a shot because of turret issues.

If you are stuck on Bushnell, and they make some good scopes and the rain-guard is a legit selling feature, I would suggest their 3500 line at minimum. And there 4500 series is noticeably better than the 3500's.

If it were me, for that price range, I would save $50 bucks more and buy a SWFA Classic fixed power. They are $300 and are bombproof. Their turrets are about as good as you can buy on any scope in any price range as far as maintaining zero and repeatability. Rugged as can be and just overall the best scope for the dollar by a long shot. In almost every category except glass they will compete and beat most scopes nearing $1k+. The glass isn't bad either, perfectly acceptable for any use, its just not as good as some of mid tier options but they are out of your price range anyway.

They make a 6x and a 10x. Pick your angle measurement of choice and your reticle and you are set.

Save yourself some pain up front by researching this decision carefully. There is nothing more frustrating than a scope that doesn't function properly!

As an FYI, they also make a 3-15x scope in that line that is around $500. That would be my choice for about anything up to and slightly over $1k. They really are that good!

Hope this helps.

Scot E.

OMG, thanks you guys for being so helpful. I'm still pondering on the options, but I start to think maybe I should higher my budget. Anyway, during my research, I stumble cross this website.(https://tangotactics.com) I'm not quite sure if the review is accurate or not... If so, I will just simply choose one of those.:D

Please give some review and advice.

Thank in advanced, fellows.

I'm not going to lie to you. If you want something you can depend on to not let you down when you need it and not give you fits regarding consistent accuracy and repeatability, there really isn't much in the market at that price range. And if you still want to go that route there are lots of questions to be considered.

How far are you going to shoot? if you are dialing turrets at long range you aren't going to be happy with that level of scope for repeatable zero and turret adjustment.

What cartridge size? I wouldn't put very many scopes in that price range on a magnum gun.

In that price range I always suggest buying something with a reticle that can be used for longer shots instead of using the turrets. Much less chance of messing up a shot because of turret issues.

If you are stuck on Bushnell, and they make some good scopes and the rain-guard is a legit selling feature, I would suggest their 3500 line at minimum. And there 4500 series is noticeably better than the 3500's.

If it were me, for that price range, I would save $50 bucks more and buy a SWFA Classic fixed power. They are $300 and are bombproof. Their turrets are about as good as you can buy on any scope in any price range as far as maintaining zero and repeatability. Rugged as can be and just overall the best scope for the dollar by a long shot. In almost every category except glass they will compete and beat most scopes nearing $1k+. The glass isn't bad either, perfectly acceptable for any use, its just not as good as some of mid tier options but they are out of your price range anyway.

They make a 6x and a 10x. Pick your angle measurement of choice and your reticle and you are set.

Save yourself some pain up front by researching this decision carefully. There is nothing more frustrating than a scope that doesn't function properly!

As an FYI, they also make a 3-15x scope in that line that is around $500. That would be my choice for about anything up to and slightly over $1k. They really are that good!

Hope this helps.

Scot E.

lightbulbExcellent advice!lightbulb

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 74
OMG, thanks you guys for being so helpful. I'm still pondering on the options, but I start to think maybe I should higher my budget. Anyway, during my research, I stumble cross this website.(https://tangotactics.com) I'm not quite sure if the review is accurate or not... If so, I will just simply choose one of those.:D

Please give some review and advice.

Thank in advanced, fellows.
The low end Nikons are probably the closest you will get to a sub $250 scope. I ran a 6x18 Buckmaster on an Edge for a while and killed a lot of stuff a long ways away with it. Lasted probably 300 shots and was going strong last time I saw it. The Nikons will also go further than most BDC reticles. I was able to get to 800 with an Edge by fudging the sight in 3" high at 100.

The low end Nikons are probably the closest you will get to a sub $250 scope. I ran a 6x18 Buckmaster on an Edge for a while and killed a lot of stuff a long ways away with it. Lasted probably 300 shots and was going strong last time I saw it. The Nikons will also go further than most BDC reticles. I was able to get to 800 with an Edge by fudging the sight in 3" high at 100.

Thanks, that website did recommend the Nikon P-223 which seems like a good scope as well as the Leupold VX1 which also fits within my budget.

Do you guys really think that $250 is not enough for a decent scope as it seems like there are some good choices in this price range.

Thanks, that website did recommend the Nikon P-223 which seems like a good scope as well as the Leupold VX1 which also fits within my budget.

Do you guys really think that $250 is not enough for a decent scope as it seems like there are some good choices in this price range.

IMHO you can make that work "IF" you want to. I had an old Bushnell scope (4-12x50) that was on my .300 WM for over 20 years and survived the recoil and met my expectations for the applications I had set for it. In 2003, I finally upgraded the scope and now sits on one of my .22 LR rifles.

The LRH members have varying experience levels, budget, applications, etc ... and you have gotten very good advice(s) thus far. We can only make recommendations but you have the ultimate decision to make ... one that you can live with and all the consequences associated with it. I assure you this is not going to be your last ...

Good luck!

Cheers!

Since I never had any trouble with Tasco World Class and did have trouble with more expensive scopes, I had Tasco 4-16s on a .300 Weatherby Mark V and a .375 when I went to Alaska. They do suffer from a shorter eye relief unless they have been improved in that area. I installed a Tasco 6-24X on a varmint rifle after three Burris Signature 8-32X failures. I made my longest rock chuck kill with that scope by dialing: 527 yards. The turret tracks correctly for what I do. I never heard of a tracking test so I have no idea how accurate it would be on that. It just works in the field.

This scope is what I would do if you don't want to bump your price up like I discussed earlier.

This has a 15 year plus history of being a very solid performing scope. It's standard mildot reticle and a 10x fixed power but it is durable and tracks well. in my mind the SWFA's are a considerable upgrade like discussed in my previous post but this one fits your budget and is vetted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NKY6DU/?tag=lrhmag19-20

HTH,

Scot E.

I would suggest looking hard at the SWFA SS optic, they are now making a moa/moa version with an excellent reticle,good turrets, tracks good and has piles of elevation so you won't need a canted rail, many cheaper optics are very much lacking in the available elevation! the SWFA SS is a well built optic as well, it may be one of the best starter long range optics I've used.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.