The new Ruger seems to check all the boxes for me

Even at 3.615" it's still borderline, in not already, handicapping the cartridge.
You're right, never said it was ideal. There aren't any production rifles that are 100% ideal for what we normally setup up, let alone most saami chambers won't take the oal being discussed.

Just FYI, I loaded a dummy round (210gr Berger) to measure the length to the rifling on my Bergara Ridge in 300 win mag. I will have to go home and measure the OAL but it fit in the magazine with ease. The base of the bullet was right at the shoulder of the case as well.

Try the ruger out and let us know. The Bergara won't be twice as good as the price dictates, but if they were equal money then I'd go Bergara. The premier action is probably quite a bit nicer than the b14 action and comes with a tt trigger, haven't felt a ruger trigger that's better than a custom trigger

Just FYI, I loaded a dummy round (210gr Berger) to measure the length to the rifling on my Bergara Ridge in 300 win mag. I will have to go home and measure the OAL but it fit in the magazine with ease. The base of the bullet was right at the shoulder of the case as well.
My 700 Gen 1 26" 5R .300WM fits a 210 VLD inside of the factory mag box with it seated .015" off the lands, and still has a very small amount of room.

This new Ruger just popped up on my radar last night, I believe it is brand new for 2018. Here is a link

https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/specSheets/47183.html

I was just about ready to buy a Bergara premier series, here is a link to it.

https://bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_long_range_rifle.php

But the Ruger seems to check off everything I was looking for. Controlled round feed, picatinny rail already equipped, heavy barrel, 5r rifling, muzzle brake, m-lok attachment points for the bipod, two-stage adjustable trigger, claw extractor, fixed ejector, three position safety, and to top everything off it looks like it's going to be about half the price of the bergara.

I already have a Ruger Hawkeye 300 Win Mag, and have been working with it for several years. I've gotten it to shoot about 1 1/4 MOA. With Factory Hornady ammo. I like everything about it except it isn't quite accurate enough. I probably could spend some more money on it and get it below 1 Moa. But honestly just want to start over with a new rifle.

Do any of you have any experience with the new Ruger? What are your thoughts?
I have the Hawkeye FTW model in .260. The only mistake I made at the time was in not also buying one in .375 Ruger and another in .300wm.

Their trigger design is the only flaw in the rifle but they can be made more than acceptable or else replaced with a Timney aftermarket trigger.

Last edited:
I'd buy a Bergara regular HMR for less if it was me. I don't really see anything that jumps out as unique here. What am I missing?

Try the ruger out and let us know. The Bergara won't be twice as good as the price dictates, but if they were equal money then I'd go Bergara. The premier action is probably quite a bit nicer than the b14 action and comes with a tt trigger, haven't felt a ruger trigger that's better than a custom trigger

A tt trigger meaning trigger tech? I hear they are one of the best triggers available.

Not trying to throw another wrench in your thought process but if you can afford the Bergara premier series rifle which is around $2200, you can save a little longer (around another $1000) and buy all custom parts yourself and send them off to a competent gunsmith and have a custom rifle made to your very own liking and feel.

And that is getting All the best parts. Stiller action, jewel trigger, McMillan stock, custom barrel from a reputable barrel maker and a muzzlebrake.

Just a thought.

I was a big ruger fan and have owned several M77 and Hawkeye rifles. Now as i get more into precision long range shooting.... well I am becoming less of a fan.

Last year i bought the Hawkeye FTW Hunter edition rifle as it is only one of few that are stainless and left handed guns in 6.5cm. After sending the gun back to ruger (which did nothing at all) I finally cut my losses and sold that gun. I bought a Tikka and i have never been happier.

The action was loose and janky, yet would constantly bind and have heavy bolt lift. They bead blasted the bolt and the inside of the action, the two rubbing on each other was terribly rough. Bolt lift was extremely hard, just really was a poor operating action. It really ****ed me off when a $1200 gun functions worse then a $300 ruger american.....

The triggers aren't bad, no creep and you can simply cut down the spring to lighten them up easy. I doubt i will ever buy a ruger again after that. It really didn't shoot that well either at 1.25 MOA.

Now i have the tikka t3x, and it is becoming my favorite gun. the action is smooth as butter, the factory trigger is great, and I easily adjusted it down to 2lbs with out even removing the stock. If it was me I would get a Tikka, and simply put it in a stock or chassis of your choosing and be money ahead! Plus Tikkas come with 1 MOA guarantee, and are becoming popular enough that you can find a lot of after market parts. The ruger it is very difficult to find any parts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.