The Hunt for Osama

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buffalobob, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Buffalobob

    Buffalobob Writers Guild

    Jun 12, 2001
    Here is a story of a Special Forces A-Team, 12 men who hunt Osama bin Laden under real fair chase rules.

    10 Green Berets to Receive Silver Star for Afghan Battle

    By Ann Scott Tyson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, December 12, 2008; Page A01

    After jumping out of helicopters at daybreak onto jagged, ice-covered rocks and into water at an altitude of 10,000 feet, the 12-man Special Forces team scrambled up the steep mountainside toward its target -- an insurgent stronghold in northeast Afghanistan.

    "Our plan," Capt. Kyle M. Walton recalled in an interview, "was to fight downhill."

    But as the soldiers maneuvered toward a cluster of thick-walled mud buildings constructed layer upon layer about 1,000 feet farther up the mountain, insurgents quickly manned fighting positions, readying a barrage of fire for the exposed Green Berets.

    A harrowing, nearly seven-hour battle unfolded on that mountainside in Afghanistan's Nuristan province on April 6, as Walton, his team and a few dozen Afghan commandos they had trained took fire from all directions. Outnumbered, the Green Berets fought on even after half of them were wounded -- four critically -- and managed to subdue an estimated 150 to 200 insurgents, according to interviews with several team members and official citations.

    Today, Walton and nine of his teammates from Operational Detachment Alpha 3336 of the 3rd Special Forces Group will receive the Silver Star for their heroism in that battle -- the highest number of such awards given to the elite troops for a single engagement since the Vietnam War.

    That chilly morning, Walton's mind was on his team's mission: to capture or kill several members of the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG) militant group in their stronghold, a village perched in Nuristan's Shok Valley that was accessible only by pack mule and so remote that Walton said he believed that no U.S. troops, or Soviet ones before them, had ever been there.

    But as the soldiers, each carrying 60 to 80 pounds of gear, scaled the mountain, they could already spot insurgents running to and fro, they said. As the soldiers drew closer, they saw that many of the mud buildings had holes in the foot-thick walls for snipers. The U.S. troops had maintained an element of surprise until their helicopters turned into the valley, but by now the insurgent leaders entrenched above knew they were the targets, and had alerted their fighters to rally.

    Staff Sgt. Luis Morales of Fredericksburg was the first to see an armed insurgent and opened fire, killing him. But at that moment, the insurgents began blasting away at the American and Afghan troops with machine guns, sniper rifles and rocket-propelled grenades -- shooting down on each of the U.S. positions from virtually all sides.

    "All elements were pinned down from extremely heavy fire from the get-go," Walton said. "It was a coordinated attack." The insurgent Afghan fighters knew there was only one route up the valley and "were able to wait until we were in the most vulnerable position to initiate the ambush," said Staff Sgt. Seth E. Howard, the team weapons sergeant.

    Almost immediately, exposed U.S. and Afghan troops were hit. An Afghan interpreter was killed, and Staff Sgt. Dillon Behr was shot in the hip.

    "We were pretty much in the open, there were no trees to hide behind," said Morales, who with Walton pulled Behr back to their position. Morales cut open Behr's fatigues and applied pressure to his bleeding hip, even though Morales himself had been shot in the right thigh. A minute later, Morales was hit again, in the ankle, leaving him struggling to treat himself and his comrade, he said. Absent any cover, Walton moved the body of the dead Afghan interpreter to shield the wounded.

    Farther down the hill in the streambed, Master Sgt. Scott Ford, the team sergeant, was firing an M203 grenade launcher at the fighting positions, he recalled. An Afghan commando fired rocket-propelled grenades at the windows from which they were taking fire, while Howard shot rounds from a rocket launcher and recoilless rifle.

    Ford, of Athens, Ohio, then moved up the mountain amid withering fire to aid Walton at his command position. The ferocity of the attack surprised him, as rounds ricocheted nearby every time he stuck his head out from behind a rock. "Typically they run out of ammo or start to manage their ammo, but . . . they held a sustained rate of fire for about six hours," he said.

    As Ford and Staff Sgt. John Wayne Walding returned fire, Walding was hit below his right knee. Ford turned and saw that the bullet "basically amputated his right leg right there on the battlefield."

    Walding, of Groesbeck, Tex., recalled: "I literally grabbed my boot and put it in my crotch, then got the boot laces and tied it to my thigh, so it would not flop around. There was about two inches of meat holding my leg on." He put on a tourniquet, watching the blood flow out the stump to see when it was tight enough.

    Then Walding tried to inject himself with morphine but accidentally used the wrong tip of the syringe and put the needle in this thumb, he later recalled. "My thumb felt great," he said wryly, noting that throughout the incident he never lost consciousness. "My name is John Wayne," he said.

    Soon afterward, a round hit Ford in the chest, knocking him back but not penetrating his body armor. A minute later, another bullet went through his left arm and shoulder, hitting the helmet of the medic, Staff Sgt. Ronald J. Shurer, who was behind him treating Behr. An insurgent sniper was zeroing in on them.

    Bleeding heavily from the arm, Ford put together a plan to begin removing the wounded, knowing they could hold out only for so long without being overrun. By this time, Air Force jets had begun dropping dozens of munitions on enemy positions precariously close to the Green Berets, including 2,000-pound bombs that fell within 350 yards.

    "I was completely covered in a cloud of black smoke from the explosion," said Howard, and Behr was wounded in the intestine by a piece of shrapnel.

    The evacuation plan, Ford said, was that "every time they dropped another bomb, we would move down another terrace until we basically leapfrogged down the mountain." Ford was able to move to lower ground after one bomb hit, but insurgent fire rained down again, pinning the soldiers left behind.

    "If we went that way, we would have all died," said Howard, who was hiding behind 12-inch-high rocks with bullets bouncing off about every 10 seconds. Insurgents again nearly overran the U.S. position, firing down from 25 yards away -- so near that the Americans said they could hear their voices. Another 2,000-pound bomb dropped "danger close," Howard said, allowing the soldiers to get away.

    Finally, after hours of fighting, the troops made their way down to the streambed, with those who could still walk carrying the wounded. A medical evacuation helicopter flew in, but the rotors were immediately hit by bullets, so the pilot hovered just long enough to allow the in-flight medic to jump off, then flew away.

    A second helicopter came in but had to land in the middle of the icy, fast-moving stream. "It took two to three guys to carry each casualty through the river," Ford said. "It was a mad dash to the medevac." As they sat on the helicopter, it sustained several rounds of fire, and the pilot was grazed by a bullet.

    By the time the battle ended, the Green Berets and the commandos had suffered 15 wounded and two killed, both Afghans, while an estimated 150 to 200 insurgents were dead, according to an official Army account of the battle. The Special Forces soldiers had nearly run out of ammunition, with each having one to two magazines left, Ford said.

    "We should not have lived," said Walding, reflecting on the battle in a phone interview from Fort Bragg, N.C., where he and the nine others are to receive the Silver Stars today. Nine more Green Berets from the 3rd Special Forces Group will also receive Silver Stars for other battles. About 200 U.S. troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan have received the Silver Star, the U.S. military's third-highest combat award.
  2. royinidaho

    royinidaho Writers Guild

    Jan 20, 2004
    There are men and there are MEN. These are among a group of MEN of only a selected few may become a part.

    I've learned that challenges don't don't develop character. Challenges reveal character.

    I'm pleased to say that I know several of that group.

  3. jwp475

    jwp475 Well-Known Member

    Feb 4, 2005
    Specail MEN to say the least MY HAT IS Off To Them
  4. jimbo300

    jimbo300 Well-Known Member

    Sep 2, 2007
    MEN of great character and bravery indeed. THANKS to all of our brave MEN and WOMEN in the military. Let's keep them all in our PRAYERS.
  5. eddybo

    eddybo Well-Known Member

    Jan 5, 2007
    Speachless, bless our troops
  6. Buffalobob

    Buffalobob Writers Guild

    Jun 12, 2001
    There is an update on one of these guys.

    SF Soldier becomes first amputee to graduate SWCS sniper course ...100723-02.html

    FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, July 23, 2010) – John Wayne has toured Afghanistan and Iraq, hunted grizzly bears in Alaska and earned the Silver Star; and as of July 16, John Wayne is the first one-legged Soldier to graduate the Special Forces Sniper Course.

    Staff Sgt. John Wayne Walding of Groesbeck, Texas, that is.

    In April 2008, Walding and nine other Special Forces Soldiers from a 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) assault team were attacked by the Hezeb Islami al Gulbadin while searching for insurgents in Afghanistan's Shok Valley.

    Walding, one of several team members who were injured, took a bullet through his right leg under his knee.

    “I ripped off my boot lace and literally tied my leg to my thigh to keep it from flapping around,” Walding said.

    Over the six-and-a-half hour firefight, more than 150 insurgents were killed. The members of the assault team were each awarded the Silver Star in December 2008 for their courageous actions in Shok Valley.

    While recuperating, Walding worked as an assistant instructor at 3rd SFG(A)'s sniper detachment at Fort Bragg. In order to become a full-time instructor, he had to complete the Special Forces Sniper Course at SWCS.

    During the course, many of Walding's classmates didn't know about his injury and prosthetic leg. Walding said he enjoyed his fellow Soldiers’ reactions upon learning about his missing leg.

    “At first, [my classmates] were shocked to realize I was missing a leg,” Walding said. “Then, they realized ‘Wow, he’s doing everything I’m doing!’”

    After his injury, Walding knew he wasn’t going to give up and leave the Army. He also didn’t want to spend the rest of his career behind a desk.

    “You don’t become a Green Beret because you ‘kind of like it,’ you become a Green Beret because you love it and can’t imagine being anything else,” he said.

    Walding said he refused to lower his personal standards following his injury, and pushed himself to excel as an instructor because he knew teams and Soldiers were relying on him. Due to his past experiences, Walding said he has a lot to offer as a member of a Special Forces team, and wouldn’t bother trying to get back to a team if he hadn't felt he could be an asset.

    The seven-week Special Forces Sniper Course teaches sniper marksmanship, semiautomatic shooting, ballistics theory and tactical movement. Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Owens, an SFSC instructor in 2nd Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group (Airborne), emphasized the importance of these skills, and said it takes Soldiers like Walding to push themselves to the limits.

    “Snipers have become more dynamic over the past 10 years,” Owens said. “Considering current operations overseas, snipers have never been more prevalent, because of the need for distance shooting in rugged terrain.”

    Walding said he loves everything about training to be a sniper, particularly the mission, the guns and the skill. He even enjoyed training during the hottest June ever recorded in North Carolina.

    “The skill of a Special Forces sniper is unparalleled,” Walding said. “This is the most prestigious sniper school in the world. That means something.”

    “There was never a doubt that Walding would do well in this course,” Owens said. “He is extremely motivated, and that never dropped during the course.”

    “He never asked for special treatment; he did the same training as everyone else, and scored well in all the exercises.”

    Walding’s no-quit attitude has taken him from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington D.C. back to Fort Bragg, N.C., where he’s become the first amputee to graduate from the Special Forces Sniper Course.

    During his initial recovery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington D.C., Walding set up short-term goals for himself. He was a runner before the incident, averaging 50 miles per week. During recovery, he would get up and run a little more every day, always keeping his focus on that next step.

    Walding is using the same process to work his way back to an operational role. As a Soldier, his first step was to finish the sniper course; the next step is acting as an instructor for his fellow Soldiers. He said he's hoping to work his way back to a place on an operational Special Forces detachment.

    “I’m John Wayne, born on the 4th of July. This is what I was meant to do.” Walding said.
  7. bigbuck

    bigbuck Well-Known Member

    Jun 20, 2009
    To say that these MEN are Great men would be an under statement . We are forever indebted to these MEN for laying down their lives for our freedom !!!

    I would like to share with those of you that may not know just what kind of soldiers the afghan's are that we train . maybe not all of them but some of them . I happen to know a sargent that has been to afghanistan fighting in small units and he said that they would assign them with a afghan interpreter so called US soldier to show them around he was supossedly on our side . Well one night the sargent that i know said he had been keeping an eye on this interpretor and he just didn't feel right about him . They had intered a run down villiage and the interpreter told them that they would be staying in this certain room but the strange thing was the interpreter didn't stay that evening with them so about midnight the sargent told his team that they will be relocating and at around 3 o clock in the morning the enemy blew up that room . This is what kind of CRAP our troops are facing !!

    I think it's miserably inadequate that we train the enemy ! we should let our troops take the brakes off and mow down everything that wears a pamper on it's head !!!

  8. royinidaho

    royinidaho Writers Guild

    Jan 20, 2004
    One more great quiet hero!

    There are quite a few of them out there and around here. Each from their own era!
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

    ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

    Jan 31, 2008
    I had a SF B Team from 3rd group that lived at our compound in Afgahnistan in 03 I absolutly idolized them to say the least. hope they are all well