The great 260 bullet weight debate

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by ICANHITHIMMAN, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Ok lets say you have a 260 rem with a 27" 1-8 twist barrel and wayetts box mag.

Now you want to shoot the JLK 6.5mm bullet do you pick the 140g bullet with the BC of .630 or the 130g bullet with the BC of .620??

You could get a littel more speed if you went with the 130g over the 140g but is it worth the loss of energy at lets say 1000 yds?

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Plug your info into this calculator:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

3. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Depends if those BCs are actually correct

Probably the 130 but I haven't run the numbers.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

hay thanks for the link its a little vexing at first but I will work through it. They are the BC listed on the JLK site by Swampy.

5. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

OKAY- what do you want to shoot at, targets or critters? Since the BC's are so close, they are going to buck the wind pretty closely.
    Now since the 130 is going to outperform in velocity, it's going to have a flatter trajectory. You start getting out too 1000+ yards the 140's BC advantage and weight will take over and it will start to outshoot the 130, IMOP that is.

6. ICANHITHIMMAN

highdrum thats a good opnion I like it well said its for critters of course. My first choice was the 140 and still is but the 130 is so close BC wise I just got excited over the slight edge in veloicty.

7. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

With bullets that similar, I would use the one my rifle liked best at the velocity it liked best.

Dont complicate the matter, let the rifle speak. You just have to listen.

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Well-Known Member

Words to live by, regardless of caliber, game, range or brand of rifle!

9. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

What do you suppose the velocity of each bullet will be? Assuming that they will both shoot well, I will guess that the lighter bullet will out perform the larger on game out as far as you are able to shoot.

Are these bullets good on big game? Some reason I thought I remember looking into them and deciding that they may not be a good choice for big game hunting. Maybe somebody that has used them can let us know.

Steve

10. ICANHITHIMMAN

The guys who makes them clames they will do everything a Berger will do his name is Swampy. I dont rember who told me about them for sure but I think it was James Jones but dont quote me.