The Dreaded "Click" - WHY?

To clarify a couple things. I just did that vid on my cell phone one take, no edits so after watching it I should have talked about pressure a little more. A clicker is not a pressure sign, but it does take pressure to expand the case. So if your running a low pressure load and neck sizing, you may never have any issues. The other thing I wish I would have pointed out is that brass should not wear out. With good chamber specs, a FL die that works, and a pressure level that does not expand the case head you can literally wear out a barrel with 50 cases. Multiple barrels actually. Now if you want to run them hard and expand case heads, thats the price for the speed.

Well guys I have just began having this issue with my 6 dasher. It's a remage and was on a Remington 700 action with a ptg bolt. I pulled the barrel and headspaced it to the new defiance tenacity I just picked up. I didnt have the click on the remmy, but I do now. Seems as though I have the headspace tolerance slightly tighter than before. Ever since the action swap I have had the click for about 60rds every shot. So I began thinking and got out every .308 case sized dies that I have and measured them with my calipers. Some were smaller, even, and larger than my Forrester dasher die. My .308 win die is 0.001" smaller, so I took the spindle out and ran my dasher brass through it first and then sized in the dasher die. I've only fired 1 test round so far, but the click went away. I will load up a few more to test soon to be sure. But, maybe it's a fix for some people.

and a 308 small base die works if no dasher/br die is on hand.
Well guys I have just began having this issue with my 6 dasher. It's a remage and was on a Remington 700 action with a ptg bolt. I pulled the barrel and headspaced it to the new defiance tenacity I just picked up. I didnt have the click on the remmy, but I do now. Seems as though I have the headspace tolerance slightly tighter than before. Ever since the action swap I have had the click for about 60rds every shot. So I began thinking and got out every .308 case sized dies that I have and measured them with my calipers. Some were smaller, even, and larger than my Forrester dasher die. My .308 win die is 0.001" smaller, so I took the spindle out and ran my dasher brass through it first and then sized in the dasher die. I've only fired 1 test round so far, but the click went away. I will load up a few more to test soon to be sure. But, maybe it's a fix for some people.

Send a couple of fired cases to Harrell's Pecision and they will send you a dasher die that works for $75

I am absolutely convinced NOW my new barrel is much tighter than the OEM factory and this has been an interesting learning experience if you have never had a custom barrel before. I guess I should have realized what a custom barrel will do when everything I have loaded shoots well.😅 My initial plan is to keep shooting the brass that was formed with this barrel and see if the click returns which will probably tell me I need to consider some die changes. A lot of really replies and very much appreciated.
Thx,
Muddy

Don't know what brand of dies you use bu Forster and Redding will custom grind a die for you if you send them a fire formed case. It's like a custom talored suit. Fit perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts