The deer that wouldn’t die....

I have a couple thoughts,,,, I have shot literally tons of game, pigs, deer, etc. with a .223/5.56 with the right load and the right bullet. Is it just possible that hunting with too much fire power is the problem? The small caliber is designed to kill at a specific range in the specific parameters, as the larger calibers are designed for their parameters. Here's a 100 yd shot with a 5.56 With a Barnes TTSX on a 175# coastal from last year. No second shot needed.View attachment 145213

I think there is merit to your argument. When you look at the cavitation shock delivered by these fast, small projectiles in gelatin, it makes sense that they would deliver a lot of damage. I'm not averse to using a .556 in this application and the TSX is just icing on the cake with its weight retention.

To be honest, however I think the .243 strikes the best compromise for whitetail out to 285 yards or so. Mine always seem to hit like a truck with an 80 to 95 grain pill and come to think of it, I think with the exception of 1 or 2 deer, everything I've ever shot in 25 years of hunting with a .243 at those ranges has been DRT.

Last edited:
It seem everybody has a story to tell, I was hunt mully's in my home state of Idaho and was hunting down a mountain side in the pines with 3 other friends when a nice 3 point came running by me at 30 yards. I shot him with a 7mm Mag and he keep coming to my right so i shot him again at 20 yards broadside and he keep going and i was going to shoot him the 3rd time and I thought to myself he's dead and he just doesn't know it yet! so i didn't shoot him, big mistake. I trailed him back up the mountain at lease 3/4 of a mile and picked up over 12" of bone and then he quite bleeding and ended up losing him. I felt really bad and asked several friends of my why a 7 mag didn't drop him in his tracts and i had one friend tell me that the bullet i was using wasn't good enough at that close of range and it incinerated on impact. I was so mad that I went to town and bought me a 30/30 and the next year shot a nice 4 point at 50 yards and he dropped in his track.

I've been in this game for quite some time now but on a couple of occasions I've been truly amazed by the will to live a whitetail deer can exhibit. Several years back, I was hunting a farm with my friend and 8 deer materialized around dusk from the tree line about 200 yards out. I trained my rifle on one of the adult does and dropped her instantly. I got another one in my scope square in the neck at about 80 yards and down she went. We got out of the blind and I noticed that the second deer was still moving a bit on the ground, so I figured I'd field dress the first one and the other would surely expire in the 10 minutes necessary to perform the task. No such luck. So, I did what I hate to have to do and put another .25-06 round through the thoracic cavity from about 20 yards and jettisoned the oppiset shoulder. The deer did not die. I had to repeat the process 2 minutes later, and destroyed the other shoulder. 5 agonizing minutes later, the animal finally expired.

We are not allowed to carry side arms in MD and I can't bring myself to kill the deer with a knife, so I guess I had no choice. There wasn't much left by the time it was over.

Anybody else have a similar story to share where, even though you knew you had a solid shot on the animal it just ended up taking alot more than you bargained for to seal the deal? Why do you think it happened that way?
If a deer is still moving at all I will quickly shoot them in the brain even though I know they are dead or close to it. I see no reason to risk any suffering. They instantly die with no meat loss what so ever. It seems to me the most humane way.

I hate to see them suffer. Having to finish the deed with your knife will teach you a few things. 1. Pick your shots better. 2. Theres a living, breathing animal fighting for survival and desrves your darn respect. 3. Carry a really sharp knife, if your have to saw on it you're going to hate it.

That's what is so fascinating about ballistics. By all measures, a 300 win mag should drop them in their tracts. But then, you'll see 243s sending 80 grains downrange and dropping em.

Life is wicked that way.

Isn't it. !!
One reason that It happens is that Magnums often go completely through and expend only a part of their energy on the game. Some times the less powerful cartridge expends all of its energy to the game and delivers even more energy than even the more powerful cartridge.

The Point Of Impact does have a part in the way game goes down but the delivered energy also has a part + bullet performance. And then there is the miracle, When everything is done right and the game just doesn't stay down and we have to track and dispatch the game. A lot of this is Adrenalin. Often If the game senses danger, they can do amazing things mortally wounded.

It Happens

J E CUSTOM

I think experience teaches us that just as different animals react differently, each situation dictates the method. If you hunt long enough and/or with enough people, you will encounter these situations. If for some reason you don't want to shoot it in the head and the animal isn't too lively, a long blade to the lungs works like a broadhead. My worst was a nice 6 point that I shot with my longbow. Came in behind me and my lower limb hit the tree, resulting in a mid body spine hit. He fell behind a small bushy pine that I couldn't shot through. Since I was in a climber, I had to listen to him bawling while I lowered all my crap and then climb down myself before I could finish him off. Made me feel like crap. While this is about hunting, I've also had to finish off deer hit by vehicles using what is available. Can be cude but anything to quickly end their suffering is better than doing nothing.

Too true Tim. I remember killing a mule deer doe with two broken legs with a handy man jack. Wasn't fun, or easy, but I still think it was the right thing to do. After that I started carrying a gun.

Last edited:
You owe it the animal to put it down as quickly as possible. Next time: do that.

Don't walk away and leave it to suffer while you do something else. If you aren't able to do what needs done, then pick A different activity.

Hopefully lesson learned on this one. A second shot at the base of the head would have ended this with no meat loss and much less suffering!

-Jake

My worst was a blacktail forkie I shot with my bow at last light from ~50 yards. The arrow impact sounded solid and the deer went down as if hit by a truck. I was amazed when after just a minute that thing stood up and wobbled into the pitch black woods. I walked to where it had been standing and found the broken off fletching end of my arrow but little blood. I figured I would let him go until morning thinking he would go a short distance, lay down and expire. I returned to the spot the next morning with my wife along as a helper. That thing must've taken an escape and evasion class because the trail wound through the woods like nothing I'd ever seen before or since. He back trailed, went completely around boulders, into and back out of a ditch, all kind of moves to confuse anything following his trail. All of that after dark in dense pine forest you could not see 20 yards through during the day. Finally my wife hollers out that she thinks she found him and he's still alive! Sure enough I get to her and she points at a deadfall where I see a single leg sticking straight up that moves just a bit every few seconds. I went to him and administered the coup de grace. It appears he had tried to jump the downed tree but didn't quite make it and had landed on his back trapped by dead branches. Upon inspection I could see the 3 bladed broadhead had struck him in the rib cage just behind the left shoulder but at such an acute upward angle that it did not break through. 1 blade went down between two ribs while the other 2 rode on top of the adjacent ribs. The arrow had traveled under the skin for almost a foot, exiting right above the spine but apparently not leaving the animal. The arrow must've broken when he first fell. That sucker was opened up like a foot long zipper but no vitals were ever touched. He had slowly bled out overnight and was barely hanging on when finally found. I felt bad for many years about the suffering that animal endured.

I'm from the south and grew up hunting whitetail with shotgun, bow, rifle, muzzleloader. I had taken tons of deer with a bullet I was sure would do the job on an elk when I got my first chance to come out west. I was wrong and learned well the lesson that bullet selection is everything when hunting elk. So I got my first opportunity to shoot an elk, I was by myself working my way down a steep drainage in central Idaho when I spotted several elk bedded on the opposite hill about 350 yards away. A quick scan with my scope and I picked out a legal bull. I sat down, pulled off my backpack, took out my range finder (old Simmons the size of a lunch box) it read 350. I prepared myself for the shot by getting steady on a fell tree. Took time to realize I was about to take my first elk and how hard it was going to be to pack him the three miles back to the truck solo. But they were laying near the top of the ridge so I thought if I could anchor him there at least it would minimize the climb. So I opted for a neck shot as the bull was lying quartered to me and the head and neck where my best option. So I took a deep breath and squeezed. Never saw an animal the size of an elk go from lying down to turning a backflip in a split second but as he flopped, every time a shot presented itself I sent another 190gr bullet at him. Also, every time he jumped/lunged/kicked he went another 30-50 yards further down a really steep shale slope. After sending the first four rounds I dug out some more rounds, loaded them and again started sending them as shots presented themselves. By the time he reached the bottom of the ravine and the cover of oak brush, I'd fire 9 shots! It took me the better part of an hour to get to where he ended up and to my disbelief, he was sitting, entangled in an oak brush tree still alive. At about 10 steps I ended it with the last bullet I had to the back of his skull. While skinning him I discovered that 7 of the nine shots had hit there mark. The first shot had caught him in the jaw and exited just right of the spine below where the skull meets the spine. It had cut the jugular and it literally looked like a horror movie all the way down the mountain. Four of the follow-up shots had hit lung, liver, heart. One got rump, the other gut. I felt so guilty for causing such a magnificent animal so much suffering. I changed to partitions and accubonds and never had another episode like this one. Of course, I also started taking only clean vital shots, if you aim for vitals and are off by a couple inches you still get lung or liver or heart. While this was not my only experience with hard to kill animals (I grew up on a farm and had to dispatch various horses, cows, dogs, alligators from time to time) it did fill me with the desire to always make it as quick as possible for the sake of the animal.

I'm from the south and grew up hunting whitetail with shotgun, bow, rifle, muzzleloader. I had taken tons of deer with a bullet I was sure would do the job on an elk when I got my first chance to come out west. I was wrong and learned well the lesson that bullet selection is everything when hunting elk. So I got my first opportunity to shoot an elk, I was by myself working my way down a steep drainage in central Idaho when I spotted several elk bedded on the opposite hill about 350 yards away. A quick scan with my scope and I picked out a legal bull. I sat down, pulled off my backpack, took out my range finder (old Simmons the size of a lunch box) it read 350. I prepared myself for the shot by getting steady on a fell tree. Took time to realize I was about to take my first elk and how hard it was going to be to pack him the three miles back to the truck solo. But they were laying near the top of the ridge so I thought if I could anchor him there at least it would minimize the climb. So I opted for a neck shot as the bull was lying quartered to me and the head and neck where my best option. So I took a deep breath and squeezed. Never saw an animal the size of an elk go from lying down to turning a backflip in a split second but as he flopped, every time a shot presented itself I sent another 190gr bullet at him. Also, every time he jumped/lunged/kicked he went another 30-50 yards further down a really steep shale slope. After sending the first four rounds I dug out some more rounds, loaded them and again started sending them as shots presented themselves. By the time he reached the bottom of the ravine and the cover of oak brush, I'd fire 9 shots! It took me the better part of an hour to get to where he ended up and to my disbelief, he was sitting, entangled in an oak brush tree still alive. At about 10 steps I ended it with the last bullet I had to the back of his skull. While skinning him I discovered that 7 of the nine shots had hit there mark. The first shot had caught him in the jaw and exited just right of the spine below where the skull meets the spine. It had cut the jugular and it literally looked like a horror movie all the way down the mountain. Four of the follow-up shots had hit lung, liver, heart. One got rump, the other gut. I felt so guilty for causing such a magnificent animal so much suffering. I changed to partitions and accubonds and never had another episode like this one. Of course, I also started taking only clean vital shots, if you aim for vitals and are off by a couple inches you still get lung or liver or heart. While this was not my only experience with hard to kill animals (I grew up on a farm and had to dispatch various horses, cows, dogs, alligators from time to time) it did fill me with the desire to always make it as quick as possible for the sake of the animal.
As I get older I realize maybe I'm not doing it as much "for the sake of the animal" as much as I'm doing it for my sake!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.