• Barnes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler

• Swift

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I first started getting really serious about Rifle Reloading it seemed as though I was always being directed towards Hornady for bullets and Hodgdon fo powders.
I'm not sure if it was because of availability, preference or that they were considered to be the best.

That's a toss-up for me.... love my SSTs, V-maxes and ELD-X's and have equal affection for my 168 grain matchkings, 77 grain TMKs, and 39 grain Blitzkings. Throw Accobonds in the mix and I got a real love triangle goin' on!

I like Power Pistol and Gold Dot in my self defense handgun.
I like IMR-4166 and Nosler Ballistic Tip for shooting deer and antelope.

Good point. For instance right now on my reloading bench I have H4831sc, Superformance & Retumbo ... Magpro, Hunter & Big Game ... for rifle powders alone.

They all make good bullets. In my opinion, the most accurate bullets are made by Berger and Sierra. Hornady has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but I'm starting to expand and use bullets from Sierra and Berger. I used Hornady for years because they were cheaper, shot great, and worked on game. I'm still a big fan of Hornady ELDs nonetheless.

For powder, I stick with anything from the Hodgdon Extreme line like Varget, H4350, H4831, H1000, Retumbo etc. The IMR Enduron line of powders like IMR 4451, IMR 4955, and IMR 7977 are all good as well. The newer Alliant Reloder powders such as RL16, RL23, and RL26 are also good choices. I like temperature stable and/or predictable powders. All of the above are great choices and give consistency, accuracy, and good velocity.

Bullets: For accuracy - Sierra
For hunting - Hornady

Powders: I think that each manufacturer has one or two powders that betters their competitors. So....I guess it is what works best for your specific application. I'm a big fan of Alliant powders....but I'm not "locked-in"! memtb

This is a loaded question, no pun intended and a tough one to answer. I like Hornady over all others and lean more toward Hodgdon powders.

As a owner of my own reloading business, I see my fair share of all manufacturers. I have realized it comes down to ones application and what is consistent in their rifles. Sierra makes great bullets and so does Hornady. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

What works well in one gun may perform horribly in another.

Oh boy, agreed its a tough one.

I try to use powders that aren't affected much by temperature changes due to the high temperatures during the summer.

I've mostly been loyal to IMR-4350, 4895 and 4064 for a long time. Now some newer more temp stable powders can give me more velocity, its just hard to find them in stock.

For my 7mm Rem Mag I've been meaning to try H1000 and IMR-8133, both temp stable but again hard to find in stock anywhere. IMR-4350 and RL-19 work pretty well for me on this cartridge

For my Hunting 7mm-08's I still have 10 lbs of 4064 and a couple of 4895 and they work great for me. With both cartridges I get half MOA or better with several bullets.

For Silhouette competition I use Sierra Matchkings, they are very accurate and hard to beat in my experience. In my 7mm-08 I use 44.5gr of IMR-4350 with the 150gr Matchking HPBT, I get 0.3" groups at 100m and 3" groups at 500m.

For Hunting I've use mostly Nosler and Hornady bullets, Ballistics Tips, Ballistic Silvertips and SST's, these last ones my favorites, they are deadly and accurate.

The answer to your question:

Sierra for Competition
Hornady for Hunting

I've shot hornady for awhile now. They fit my needs and they make some really good hunting bullets and I'm a big fan of the eld-m line. That being said, the consistency of sierras are better than hornady along with bergers. I'll be running sierras in my new 6mm creed barrel most likely. Possible the new 115 nosler rdf as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts