The 6.5 PRC, "The one that got away"

Yep I don't think you will gain anything. I did the same thing you did. Custom 6.5 creed from pierce season before the 6.5 pic came out. And was just getting my Kevin rayhill 300 win mag ready for load work when these two came out. Was thinking of upgrading but I don't think you gain enough real world performance from either to justify the hassle. Now you could split the difference like others have said and do 7mm or be really cool and do a .25 prc. Be different and Awsome all at the same time. If not going that rite I think you have it covered. Hard to argue against the 300 win mag. If you need performance boost over that you need to make it a Norma mag or .30 lapua to justify swapping rifles in my book.

Yep I don't think you will gain anything. I did the same thing you did. Custom 6.5 creed from pierce season before the 6.5 pic came out. And was just getting my Kevin rayhill 300 win mag ready for load work when these two came out. Was thinking of upgrading but I don't think you gain enough real world performance from either to justify the hassle. Now you could split the difference like others have said and do 7mm or be really cool and do a .25 prc. Be different and Awsome all at the same time. If not going that rite I think you have it covered. Hard to argue against the 300 win mag. If you need performance boost over that you need to make it a Norma mag or .30 lapua to justify swapping rifles in my book.
The 25 prc is already out. It's called the 25 sst.

I would consider what 6.5 bullet you would use for elk. I think the cartridge and bullet diameter are enough for elk, but I think the 143eldx is a little to frangible for positive results every time on an elk. With the right bullets loaded I think one gun could get it all done

Canhunter, what bullet do you like in a 6.5 PRC for elk?
Likely a 147, 150 gr. or higher.

If I do get the X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC it comes with a 1:7 twist which will stabilize higher weight bullets.

Eric B.

Has anyone use the Norma .264 156gr. Oryx hunting bullet? What yardage would this bullet be optimal for on elk...400 yards? What are the trade offs with high sec. density and lower speed.

Canhunter, what bullet do you like in a 6.5 PRC for elk?
Likely a 147, 150 gr. or higher.

If I do get the X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC it comes with a 1:7 twist which will stabilize higher weight bullets.

Eric B.
I haven't used any of these, but I would forgo the long bc low velocity opening bullets for something like the 140accubond, 129 inter bond, 160gr interlock. A hammer bullet of some kind?
I believe the 140 Berger's work well on elk.
Reports on the 147 on game haven't been as consistent as I would like to see.
Maybe some testing of the 153atip will show it's better.
Those are just my thoughts on it

In my opinion, you have two different categories of rifle cartridges.
6.5CM: small-medium light skinned game with high BC bullets up to 143gr. (javalina, pronghorn, coues, mule deer, whitetail deer) the 147/150s won't net you anything a 130-140 won't do at reasonable hunting distances.

.300WM: large big game species (elk, bear, moose, caribou, etc.) Use a heavy high BC bullet like a 200-230 and you have a hammer on big game a long way out. A bit overkill for the smaller medium game species though. But dead is dead.

You need a middle ground rifle to fill the gap and be the backup rifle for either.

Something like a 7RM/.280AI pushing a 160-180gr bullet. Good for almost any N American big game species. A bit light for the big bears and a bit overkill for the small species. But anything from Coues to Moose will fall when you put the bullet where it needs to go.

A 6.5PRC is a bit of a step up from the 6.5CM, but you really only gain 200ish fps with the same bullet. If you want to go bigger, the .264WM, 6.5SS, 6.5SAUM, 26 Nosler or 6.5-.300Wby is a true step up. 300+fps gains.

The 6.5's will kill elk Cleanly out to 400 yards with a bonded core bullet if shot placement is good. A 300 win mag just stretches the range potential and gives you a slight margin of error on poor shot placement.
6.5 for deer and 300 win mag, 300wsm, or 300prc for elk or moose. Back it the day, I had a 6.5 mag. It was fast and accurate. Barrel lasted 750 rounds before accuracy begin to fade. Never tried it on elk or larger but it would teach out and drop deer and antelope. Good hunting!