The .338 Rogue

shortgrass

I just fired off a couple of 'test' rounds this afternoon. The .338 Lapua with a 300g. SMK next to the "improved", fire formed Rogue. Now, all there is left to do is to throat it, install and time the break, polish it, engrave the caliber on the barrel and ship it! Should be able to accomplish that easily this week. I know my customer is ready!

Attachments

• .338 Rogue 002.jpg
    .338 Rogue 002.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,719
I know nothing about that round but now looking at it I kinda wish I did! It also looks potentially painful on almost every aspect, shoulder, ears, target, bystanders.... and best of all your costumers buddies ego's!!:):) How does it shoot?

I just fired off a couple of 'test' rounds this afternoon. The .338 Lapua with a 300g. SMK next to the "improved", fire formed Rogue. Now, all there is left to do is to throat it, install and time the break, polish it, engrave the caliber on the barrel and ship it! Should be able to accomplish that easily this week. I know my customer is ready!

Would you mind sharing some info?

What kind of velocity did you achieve/settle on? Barrel characteristics?

Thanks!

Nice.
This is the 338 Lapua, improved with a 37-degree shoulder. With a 28" Bartlein barrel, I expect ~2975fps with 300gr bullets. Maybe 3000 with nitrided barrel and HBN coated bullets. Shortgrass isn't doing load development for me, so he can't answer some of these questions.

Nice.
This is the 338 Lapua, improved with a 37-degree shoulder. With a 28" Bartlein barrel, I expect ~2975fps with 300gr bullets. Maybe 3000 with nitrided barrel and HBN coated bullets. Shortgrass isn't doing load development for me, so he can't answer some of these questions.

THanks for the specs

That will definitely serve well as a long-range hammer!

Nice.

Way to go Paul! Glad to see you come over to the other side.
With a 28" barrel nitrided and HBN you might hit 2975fps with SMK's. With 300g Bergers and all the above, 3000+ might be attainable.

I have a 32" Krieger coming that will be Nitrided and will be testing HBN coated 285 ELD M bullets.

Looking forward to your load development.

Ray

I already have a set of Whidden Custom dies manufactured to my reamer specifications/dimensions.

Your Redding die was custom made for the .338 Lapua 37-degree Rogue improved cartridge? If so, I'll send you a PM for additional details...

Phorwath,

That sounds great. You will probably be tough to reach on line in a couple of weeks.:D You'll be out shooting instead. That is pretty much like what we have done with ours. We did 40* shoulder and maybe not as min taper as yours. The lapua improved case is tough to beat. I find it hard to consider wildcats on anything else. Can't wait to hear about it.

What twist did you do?

Steve

10-twist Bartlein. Their 3"B" contour with 1.305" diameter at the chamber for a BAT HRPIC action, and just slightly larger OD at the muzzle than standard 3"B". I debated whether or not to go faster than 10-twist to allow for stabilization of the high BC monolithics. IF I were ordering again, I'd go 9 or 9.25-twist. I ordered this barrel quite some time ago, when Hammer bullets was in planning stages, rather than current production/sales. Alaska won't go lead-free in my lifetime, so I shouldn't be forced into a new barrel over that restriction. Plan to melonite the barrel after break-in. So yup, I'll be getting some trigger time soon... Sort of a lightweight build to maintain viability on backpack-style hunts. 4-port Muscle brake will hopefully tame recoil down to tolerable levels.

Last edited:
Very cool. I've got the 4-port muscle brake on my ~9.5 lb 338 RUM and it tames the 300 grain bullets just fine. bit of a push but nothing to get worked up over.

I want to follow your load development with this rifle, that is, if you are going to start a thread. If you do, please send me a PM with the link to your thread so I don't miss it!

Does anyone have any load data of the Rogue versus say the Ackley or even the allen express? I just want to see the difference in the shoulder and body taper has on velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.