Thanks for all of the info

wyomingblizzard

I have learned alot from this site and would like to say THANK YOU! This was tonights shooting session results.
340 Weatherby mark V
HS Presision stock
Vortex viper pst 6x24 ffp
Murphy persision base
Burris xtreem rings
210 barnes
88 grn. IMR4831
I know its only one group, but its the best I have done so far!
P.S. Unlike Len I only had a dollargun)

Attachments

• 2012-06-20_20.25.52.jpg
    2012-06-20_20.25.52.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2012-06-20_20.29.25.jpg
    2012-06-20_20.29.25.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 111
Actualy its not the load I am planning on useing. I am switching to berger 250 hibird. The barnes wont handle the wind we normaly have here. There was no wind tonight! Iwas just practiseing with the barnes to use them up. This is not ment to be a true 1000 yard rifle, at least wasnt the idea behind it. I am hopeing for 700 under field conditions. That group was off the bench with sand bags and no wind.

I laughed pretty hard about the $1 comment, that's good stuff.

Great shooting there, those are the days to remember (& maybe brag about a little:cool:).

Which part of the "high desert" are you located in?

Actualy its not the load I am planning on useing. I am switching to berger 250 hibird. The barnes wont handle the wind we normaly have here. There was no wind tonight! Iwas just practiseing with the barnes to use them up. This is not ment to be a true 1000 yard rifle, at least wasnt the idea behind it. I am hopeing for 700 under field conditions. That group was off the bench with sand bags and no wind.

I like your choice of new bullet...:D

Great shooting !! Congrats on a good job breaking the trigger.

Jeff

Outlaw6.0 I am in Rawlins.
I am now hooked! I know I have a long way to go to get where some of you are at. My next big step will be a built long range rifle, maybe on of Shawn or Kirbys, I hope. In the mean time lots more trigger time. Again thanks to all whom share there knowlage so freely. gun)

Outlaw6.0 I am in Rawlins.
I am now hooked! I know I have a long way to go to get where some of you are at. My next big step will be a built long range rifle, maybe on of Shawn or Kirbys, I hope. In the mean time lots more trigger time. Again thanks to all whom share there knowlage so freely. gun)

I used to travel through that area quite regularly. It is pretty easy to catch the long range bug isn't it?! Beware, when you get your first purpose built LR-Hammer, it will then be hook, line & sinker!:D The point of no returns I tell ya.... Kirby's toys had me very interested... until Shawn's LH- LRKM was introduced... crap, guess i'll have to have both! gun)

Check the ballistics on the 225 Cutting Edge D62 bullet. It will give you the best ballistics to the 1000 yards you are looking at. Wind here is hard to deal with. The 225 should be the best in the wind and the best trajectory also. It fits the 340 wby perfect for hunting. I have some loads for my 28" barrel 340.

Copper bullets like barnes and cutting edge typically are the best performing bullets with wby freebore rifles because they like to be seated off the lands quite a bit for best performance. I have shot some great groups with the 225 grain d62 out of freebore rifles.

I too am a owner of a couple 340's and many other Wby rifles for that matter. At this time all mine are factory barrel rifles. One thing to remember about solid copper bullets is to be sure to clean well before you introduce them to your barrel. Mixing copper alloys in the tube can end up with some very stubborn fouling. I recommend a good cleaning with BoreTech Eliminator before any bullet change. It should also be noted that over the years I have seen a huge difference in Weatherby factory barrels. Some are alot rougher inside than others. I have owned 3 that would foul and loose accuracy in 10 to 15 rounds using solid copper Barnes bullets. So this is something to watch for if you start out ok and all of a sudden it is shooting larger groups at 100. Something else that lends to faster fouling is velocity. So I feel that the higher velocities of the Wby chamberings aggravates this situation. I have sold some of my rifles to guys that live where they are forced by local laws to hunt with solids. They can keep them in line by cleaning after each outing with BoreTech.

I remember back to the rifle I figured this out on. It was a 300 Wby sending Barnes 180's over 3150. It was a fouling fool and I was sick of it. This was the beginning of my love for Berger 210's when I found they didn't foul this rifle and bucked the wind better too. Then when I saw them kill so quickly and how they dropped game in their tracks, I was wanting to test more of these bullets.

Anyway, I have seen this in many Weatherby rifles. Just thought it could possibly save you some time and a headache if you have a bottle of BoreTech Eliminator handy. That is if you decide to test the solids.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.