Texas Nilgai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian M, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Just back from a great hunt somewhere near Harlingen TX. Our side won, 2 to 0.

2. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

....work, work, work !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BLASERMAN

BLASERMAN Well-Known Member

You did'nt happened to hunt with a Ranch manager .I can't remember his name. But he's been there about 25 yrs.
    You would have stayed in Green Cabins. This is a family run ranch. This Ranch borders the King ranch.

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Do not believe it was the ranch you mentioned, we stayed in Raymondville. Going to the King shortly with a new Sendero in 7mm Rem. mag. to hunt El Diablo again, plus a piggie and a turkey. Just not fair - having to work this hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Ian

I hope you hit the turkey in the head or else that 7mm will ruin a lot of meat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

any pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Glad you got to come out to our neck of the country and get in a little trigger time. I have always wanted to go after Nilgi, I always heard they were tough to get in close on.:p Course this is what I have heard.

Good luck on your next trip, the weather has been great for hunting around here lately. On those turkey's, if all you got with you is that big 7 try to shoot it right at the base of the neck junction of the breast looking straight at ya. There ain't much on the backside you will miss. I thought this was BS when I heard it from a fellow around the corner from me, but after seeing several he brought home, taken with his 300 WM, I figured he knew what he was talking about.

Hogs, well take all you want or can manage to cram in coolers, I am sure we won't miss a single one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good luck, and don't work too hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Here's a picture Ian forwarded to me. (I hope its okay to post.)

[​IMG]

9. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, that was a very old bull, you could see every rib and his teeth were about gone. Partner took one a lot longer but not as heavy bases. I got the bullet back from this one, a T/C Shockwave in 250 grain that still weighed 92%. We crawled in among a herd in the mesquite, all I could see was lower legs of the bulls at 20-25 yards and two big old hogs came over to check us out, one decided to have a snooze right near where we were snoopin' and poopin'. Much more to the story, will unfold in American Hunter - I did the ultimate muzzleloading NO-NO...

Just a great time, fine guys to hunt with, tons of critters and perfect temps for us northerners - maybe in the high 50's and mid 60's most of the time.

Mike, we will be hunting the turkeys with shotguns and some new turkey ammo from Remington.