Testing the Mark 5

Curious to see what you switched out to. I have a couple NXS 5.5-20 MOAR T and was going to upgrade my SAUM. I have been debating between picking up a Mark 5, NX8 2.5-20 or ATACR 4-16 for a new build.
Comparing the 5-25x Mark 5 the the NX8 I would give the Mk5 the edge in glass, eye box, and parallax but the reliability goes the to NX8. I think the ATACR in 16x(30oz) or 20x(35oz) would be a good choice. I have a couple ATACR's but the rotating eyepiece bugs me, the NX8 does not rotate though.

Comparing the 5-25x Mark 5 the the NX8 I would give the Mk5 the edge in glass, eye box, and parallax but the reliability goes the to NX8. I think the ATACR in 16x(30oz) or 20x(35oz) would be a good choice. I have a couple ATACR's but the rotating eyepiece bugs me, the NX8 does not rotate though.
Hopefully they will update that design in the ATACR. That's my only hesitation to buy one.

Hopefully they will update that design in the ATACR. That's my only hesitation to buy one.
I just started using a neoprene scope cover, so the eye piece rotating is a non issue for me. I hated their over whelming sized scope caps that come with them anyways haha

One scope was MOA but had MIL internals and I had to send it back twice to get it fixed, and the other two eventually lost zero by 2". And I've personally seen two totally fail on buddy's guns that needed to be sent back.

I've switch to March FX 4.5-28 and ATACR 4-20
Out of curiosity, what were the calibers and gun weights?

I've heard nothing but reliability issues with the mk5. Another one that might come in to play here is the new element nexus gen 2 4-25x50. I have the gen 1 and glass is aweosme, tracking has been spot on, and durability has been great my issue is the turrets. The new gen 2 is running the Theo's turrets and they are phenomenal, and will be 30.5oz so in the mk5 weight range.

The apex rival being slightly heavier at 34oz if I recall has been bullet proof for me too with great glass and turrets.

The Mark V has a better eyebox than NX8, better for spotting shots. I like the 7-35 sfp moa - their only sfp model. No issues yet on Lapua with 300 gr after 500 rounds but Im not dialing a bunch. Had a VX6 7-42 errector go tu on me. Mark V for target, NX8 for hunting currently. Sold my ZCO 4-20. Was sharper but didn't offer enough benefit for extra weight and lower magnification. At 100 yards tho was impressive.

One scope was MOA but had MIL internals and I had to send it back twice to get it fixed, and the other two eventually lost zero by 2". And I've personally seen two totally fail on buddy's guns that needed to be sent back.

I've switch to March FX 4.5-28 and ATACR 4-20
Thanks for the follow up on the Mark 5.

So a total of five failed? Which models?

I am not doubting your experience. I am just going off of what I have seen. I own (2) Mark 5's and have no issues traveling to multiple states on airplanes and trucks. I shoot quite a few NRL hunter comps and the Mark 5 is by farrrr the most popular scope. I would say (7) out of 10 top winners shoot Mark 5's. Most are sponsored. But they would not shoot them if they couldn't hold zero or track. Morgan King. Jon Pynch. Matt Alwine. Rusty Ulmer. Nick Gardazi. Jake Mallard.

These guys come to win. And have been shooting them for years and I know a handful of them personally. And they would not be rocking the scopes if they couldn't hold zero.

Why do people fixate on glass quality for scopes? It's about the last thing I'd worry about. Tracking and zero retention are far more important.

If you can clearly see what you're aiming at, the "glass" is probably good enough.

Last edited by a moderator: