Testing primers

Dave, I am not trying to insult or demean you, so please don't take me the wrong way. We all hate to get involved with internet smart azzes.

I appreciate your generalizations, and you are correct. Many reading these posts to not have the experience to know that playing with different primers can make a big difference, and your experience in promoting just CCI being a good choice is a good one.

For those that have the time and determination to try different primers, play around with various brands if/when you are searching for sub 1/4" groups, and I am sure Dave realizes this.

Dave, I am not trying to insult or demean you, so please don't take me the wrong way. We all hate to get involved with internet smart azzes.

I appreciate your generalizations, and you are correct. Many reading these posts to not have the experience to know that playing with different primers can make a big difference, and your experience in promoting just CCI being a good choice is a good one.

For those that have the time and determination to try different primers, play around with various brands if/when you are searching for sub 1/4" groups, and I am sure Dave realizes this.

On other forums Federal primers are usually GRAB Generally Recognized As Best.

cci bR2 would be one of the very best in quality control. You just have to let the gun tell you what it likes with a particular load. Don't get hung up on a primer brand or type.

When you start reloading at the range, changing out primers is a humbling affair. Been doing this for a long time.

Your 100% correct and I do realize that if I had explained that I only use Lapua srp brass and take every step to keep my brass consistent giving the critical importance to neck tension and powder charge... may have helped everyone know why these specific bench rest primers work so well. Thanks for helping me see that. I just know that experimenting can be largely overdone and unnecessary as people often blame equipment or ammo when it's strictly shooter error and should focus on learning to shoot instead of chasing the x ring in changing winds.

Cheers

So is the basic consensus for test primers, one just swaps them and see what happens? Assuming safe loading practices of course. No real need to drop down a grain or so and then shoot ladders or OCW tests?

So is the basic consensus for test primers, one just swaps them and see what happens? Assuming safe loading practices of course. No real need to drop down a grain or so and then shoot ladders or OCW tests?

Always drop down on the powder charge when testing, unless your load is mild in the first place.

There are charts that will tell you what heat the primer you are using and then you can pick one in the same general heat range. If you go from a large rifle primer to a magnum primer, you can expect more pressure and velocity, so I recommend lowering the powder charge to a minimum load and try both the primer you normally use and the test primer you are looking at. you will probably see an increase in velocity, but often the SDs also go up telling you that this new primer will not necessarily be more accurate.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...jAhUCcq0KHfu9Cz4Q4dUDCAY#imgrc=5Z3AC1BqTug6FM:

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

If you're just comparing brands of the same type of standard primer then that's probably ok. So if you're using Winchester then a 5 shot group with CCI, Rem 9 1/2 and Federal 210 and maybe Fiocchi would tell you what you want to know. Maybe do the same with match primers. If you're currently using magnum primers then a similar test comparing those might be in order.

Back in the late 70's I went into a local gun store to buy some primers.

At that time, most of the guys I shot with thought Winchester primers were the go to primer. (since then I have changed for the most part). I am still not a big fan of CCI, but I have not spent anytime time testing them in the 30+ years. I have 3 6mm Dashers that like the CCI450's, but only because they don't blank due to the heavier cup.

Back to the story:

I asked the kid behind the counter for a brick of WW 120 LR primers.
He told me they didn't carry WW. Really, they used to, oh well.

He offered me some CCI primers. I said no thanks. I will find some WW.

He gave me a puzzled look and said that they were just as good as WW.

I explained to him that they were not accurate enough for me, I will find some WW.

That's when I got with his chest out "I shoot CCI primers in my rifle and I will put it against anything you own!"

Oh Really!, are you talking a little shooting match? Name the bet and place!

He stated "South Coast Gun Club, Saturday, $50.00.

I told him he was on, and I will be right back.

Went to my truck, grabbed my photo album to show him what he would be shooting against.

When I got back the counter with my album, I explained to him that it would be a pleasure to shoot against him and that under no circumstances would I back out of the bet, no matter what he was shooting. But I am curious about what I would be shooting against?

His chest came out and said "I have a Weatherby Vangard 7mm Mag" I just about chocked.

That's when I opened the album to the photo of my first rail gun. His eyes got the size of saucers and asked "WHAT IS THAT?"

I explained to him that it was Unlimited Bench Rest gun that weighs over 100# with 6 barrels from 222 to 308. It has a Wichita Shell holder action with two bolts. It will prove to you that the WW primers are more accurate.

That's when I got "Oh man, I got to get some of those primers!"

Should of seen him stumble over himself when I asked what time we were meeting for our match on Saturday....... LOL

I do not load on the keen edge of a max load, bug holes rarely abound in the ultimate high pressure zone, but there are exceptions.

Usually, I just swap out primers.

My 6 Dashers prefer 7 1/2's big time with the powder I use over 450's. Not so good with BR-4.

ON other cases, I just swap out primers, the exception being a Fed 215 and a Win Mag primer.

7Remington Mags with R#25 that I have owned, have a preference over the Win Mag primers. Retumbo in 7 mags have a preference of fed 215's.

In the middle size cases, less than magnum, I will swap out primers, even the cci 250. I have been reloading for super accuracy since the late 60's, and I swear to you, there is no telling what kind of primer a load may have a preference for. Assuming anything on "best primer choice" can humble you in a hurry.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.