Testing new loads.

Merlin

When testing a new load, what do you guys use for a front rest? I have been using my bipods seeing how that is what I'll be using in the field. Just curious how what others are doing.

While there are more forgiving ways to get concistent results, I use the same tools at the range as I do in the field. A bibod used in the prone position with a rear stock support such as a backpack or rolled up clothing. This way, there is no doubt in my mind when I am in the field that the load is tuned and sighted in to the method I am shooting my critter.

I use a rest that appears to be an older version of the Sinclair Generation 2. Mine has bolts securing the sides and a slightly different front stop. That and a plain rabbit-ear rear bag. While I do agree with practicing the way you will shoot in the field, I think you're best served to test ammunition with as few variables as possible. That's where the most solid front rest you can get your hands on serves you better than using your bipod or backpack. For practice, absolutely. For load testing, remove as much "human" error as possible. It's a test of the ammo, not a test of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.