Tested some Leupold RX4 lasers recently...

Don - In Idaho

Leupold RX4 -- I had high hopes for this unit, but it bombed big time in field testing. I tested several new units and NONE of them went past 900 yards on HUGE targets. Most had a hard time getting past 750 yards on a house sized target. I was very dissapointed in this device and don't plan on stocking them. If they would hit 1200 regularly on large targets the gizmos might be fun to play with.

Swarovski is still the king for repeatable longest distance, under $1500, with 1.1 mile ranging on large targets. 2nd place is the Bushnell elite 1500 at 1600 yards (be aware that we get 30% bad ones from Bushnell and have to send them back), 3rd place is the Newcon LRB 7x50 binos (still hits 1400 on large targets, but we gave up on the Newcon 1500s and 2000s due to poor QC, 4th place is Leica 1200 which will usually hit 1000 on large targets.

I was so dissapointed in the range it would do I didn't even try it. I also found the user interface boggling to say the least. I got lost in it more than once just trying to take a simple reading.

Mine does quite well even in bright sunlight out to about 800 yards. I have had reading over 1200 yards on high reflectivity obejects (hand-held).
I spent some time before I used it to read the instruction manual and now it is easy to use. I love inclinometer, as it gives me the line of sight for windage dope and corrected distance to dial for elevation all at the same time.
For those who limit their shots to under 800 yards or for sure under 700 yards (I have only had mine for 2 months) I think it works great.

For the majority of hunters it is more than adequate, but for those pushing distance it will not satisfy
In terms of optics or range it doesn't touch the Swarovski.
Steve and I used them side by side when hunting for elk and deer this year in Colorado.
This is my expereince with it to date.

Hi Ernie, thanks that helps alot. Just getting started so it should be far enough for now. Later when I get better/know what the hell I'm doing as far as calculating(LOL) I can get a better rangefinder/pda and do it longer!!!!! Until then it sounds like for me it will at least get me shooting/gaining confidence at the longer ranges. Thanks again Tod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.