1st Goat Gun Tested...

G

1st one outta the blocks was the light weight 7mmWSM
DSC00134.jpg

Worked up a real sweet custom handload and decided to zero the scope...then since it is anew barrel I cleaned, came back to the shooting mat and fired 5 more rounds...
obviously the super custom handloads of mine worked...

skips7wsm_1.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot.... my secret handload you can get just about anywhere... Winchester Supreme 7mmWSM 140gr Balistic tips... yeah facotry stuff...

YOU DA MAN CHRIS!!!

Ric thats a fine looking stick and the way factory ammo shoots in it I forcast some one hole groups with handloads!!
Where are the twins you spoke of in an earlier post??

Nice looking rifle, but....... NEED DETAILS, man can't believe you didn't post them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Groups like that with factory stuff just fire a guy up to try some reloads.

Chris

rem 700 SS SA
22" Broughton 11 twist
MCM Rem Hunter stock
badger base, Warne Rings, Nikon 4-16 Tac.

handloads.... who needs the hassel ;-)

FWIW the Win. Supreme factory 140 gr BT's avg. 3370 fps

Ric,

Very nice rifle and shooter. Those shorter barrels tend to be real tack drivers!!! One reason that most XP-100s will smoke most rifles in accuracy!!

One question you state you are getting 3370 fps with the 140 gr BT in the 22" barrel. Is this from your actual velocity testing or what Win advertises?

Just curious as that is some smokin velocity. Great rifle!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Smokin' is right... the velocity was from the RSI Chrony I have. It was avg. over a 10 shot string. 5 sighters and 5 for group.

I didn't believe it myself.. in the first 5 shot string there were 2 at 3400+. I will say that it was 89* today...
I am not sure what powder Winchester uses for it's factory stuff but if it is RL.. it would make sense.

with that bullet ( 140gr BT) 5000ASL, 89*, 40% humidity.. I have 1914 fps / 1139 ft lbs. / and only a 18.75 MOA drop / and a 5 moa drift in 10 mph wind... at 1000 yards!!!! ...Holy crap is that respectable

not bad at all for factory fodder... ;-)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ric,
were you able to find out the contour of your barrel?

How do you like the stock ergonomics on longer shots as compared to an A5?

I look forward to seeing what you can do with this at long range.

The barrel is the #5 Lt varmint sporter
the stock well I like the A5'S and HTG's the best but for a lightweight this stock is the ticket!!!

I use Exbal.

3370 fps
BC. 485 ( .284 cal 140 gr.)
5000ASL
temp 90*
hum. 40%

what results did you get?

20.8 MOA
1795 fps/1002 ftlbs
5.9 MOA windage

Still very impressive!! Just curious about the difference.

The program I have been using works very well for SMK, but with AB and AMAX it is too conservative in my exp.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.